Skip to navigation Skip to content
Back view of two young women with arms around one another

6 April 2022

If you need advice on a personal or uni issue, Ask Counselling is a great place to start

Life as a uni student can be full of ups and downs. That’s why it’s just so important to look after yourself while you study and to get the uni–life balance right.

If you ever need some support with study issues, personal problems or your mental health, please know that you’re not alone. Many of your peers are likely feeling the same way or wondering how to cope.

Asking for help is an important part of looking after your wellbeing. Deakin offers a number of services, including one-on-one counselling if you’d like to talk with someone. We understand that this can seem daunting, so a great first step is to visit our Ask Counselling blog.

How does Ask Counselling work?

Ask Counselling is an online resource that offers support and advice on emotional and psychological issues. You can either browse existing questions and answers or post your own question for a personalised reply from Deakin’s Counselling and Psychological Support (CAPS) team of student mental health experts.

The best thing about the blog is that it’s real questions asked by current Deakin students. Anything you read about on Ask Counselling has been a problem faced by someone like you – a student feeling overwhelmed, alone or unsure.

What kinds of questions can I ask?

In a word: anything!

There’s heaps of topics to explore, including anxietyloneliness, family problemsonline study and exams. They’re all categorised by topic, so you can easily find the area you’re interested in.

You could start by reading the existing discussions and then post your own question if you want specific advice. A CAPS counsellor will respond within 72 business hours with a tailored reply to your issue.

Will my name be published?

No, your name won’t be published. We do publish the questions and answers on Ask Counselling so that others can benefit too – but it’s all anonymous, so no one will know what you’ve asked.

What if I want to talk with someone one-on-one?

Ask Counselling doesn’t replace personal counselling. If you feel ready and you’re located in Australia, we recommend you speak to a CAPS counsellor. Our team of highly skilled psychologists and social workers offers free and confidential support to Deakin students.

Book online now – you’ll speak to your counsellor over the phone or via Zoom. We also have some specialist counsellors available – just select the relevant cohort when you book:

Ask Counselling is not a 24-hour service for students in crisis. If you need immediate emergency help, you should contact Lifeline or SuicideLine now.

If you’re currently based overseas, the Deakin Student Assistance Program connects you to in-country counselling resources in English or local languages. This free support is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

We also recommend you download the DeakinWELLBEING app, our new one-stop-shop for all things health – both physical and mental – at Deakin. It’s available free to all students, no matter where you’re located.

back to top
%d bloggers like this: