Skip to navigation Skip to content
Smiling male student in front of Building LC at Burwood Campus

23 March 2022

How to see a counsellor, doctor or access other wellbeing support in T1, 2022

Welcome to Trimester 1 – we hope you have a fantastic study period! If you ever need any medical or other wellbeing support, you can access a range of student health and wellbeing services right here on campus.

Feeling your best is the first step towards academic success, so we encourage you to access these services whenever you need some physical, mental or emotional support. Most are free and are also available online if needed.

Have a medical check-up

Deakin Medical Centres offer all the services of a community medical centre. We have both male and female doctors, as well as nurses, to assist with your physical and mental wellbeing. You can also get your course-related or seasonal influenza vaccinations, as well as your COVID vaccinations – which you need to be able to come to campus (unless you have an approved exemption).

Your confidential appointment will be bulk-billed if you have a Medicare card or Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), so you generally won’t have to pay anything (exceptions apply to private vaccines and some procedure fees).

Book online or call 9244 5577 to make an appointment. You can also email [email protected] if you have a quick question about your health.

Our Health and Wellbeing Centres are NOT COVID-19 testing facilities. If you have any flu-like symptoms, call the 24-hour hotline on 1800 675 398 or visit the Victorian Government’s coronavirus website for a list of testing sites and other information.

Talk to a professional counsellor

Don’t let uni or your personal life become overwhelming. If you’re having emotional or mental health issues, or if you just need to talk to someone, our Counselling and Psychological Support (CAPS) team offers free and confidential support to Deakin students located in Australia. This service is safe, respectful and inclusive.  

Make an appointment today to chat to one of our highly skilled counsellors. We also have some specialist counsellors available for particular students – you just need to select your relevant cohort when you book:

If you’re not ready to talk one-on-one, check out our Ask Counselling blog – it’s a collection of anonymous student questions that have been answered by Deakin counsellors. Search by topic or submit your own question for a tailored reply.

Get disability support

If disability, or a health or mental health condition, may affect your study experience, the Disability Resource Centre (DRC) can help. The DRC supports the University community to be more inclusive and provide necessary adjustments. 

When you register with the DRC, you’ll be assigned a Disability Liaison Officer (DLO), who will help you access the services appropriate to your disability or condition. You might also receive a Learning Access Plan (LAP), which is designed to minimise any educational disadvantage.

Chat to a multifaith chaplain

Whether or not you practise a religion, our multifaith chaplains offer guidance and a space for reflection. From support in times of grief or loss to non-judgmental advice about any kind of problem, you’ll find a warm welcome.

Seek support for threatening behaviour

We want everyone to feel safe, respected and included while they’re at Deakin. Safer Community is a Deakin-wide service that aims to keep our community safe. Contact us to:

All assistance is confidential (unless required by law). You’ll safely be able to talk about your concerns, and may receive personal safety advice, intervention guidance and support, and referral information.

Still not sure where to go?

Just contact Student Central, who can direct you to services right across the University. 

back to top