Celebrate International Women’s Day with a free cupcake on campus!
Tuesday 8 March is International Women’s Day (IWD), which is a global celebration of the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. It’s also a call to action for accelerating women’s equality.
This year’s theme is #BreakTheBias, which asks us to imagine a gender-equal world, free of bias, stereotypes and discrimination; a world that is diverse, equitable and inclusive, where difference is valued and celebrated.
Here’s how you can be part of the change this IWD.
Join us on campus to celebrate IWD
We’re thrilled to finally be able to gather on campus this IWD – and what better way to celebrate than with a free cupcake? Pop by the following locations between 12 and 2pm to grab a tasty treat and say hi:
- Burwood: Morgans Walk
- Waurn Ponds: Union Green
- Geelong Waterfront: Level 2 gallery
- Warrnambool: Brother Fox.
Be inspired by some remarkable Deakin women
Dr Lisa Mills is an environmental engineer and occupational hygienist with 20 years experience in the mining, power generation and consulting industries. As Environment and Sustainability Manager at GeelongPort, she is working to ensure the port achieves its vision to become Australia’s most sustainable bulk port. Lisa is the first female engineer to be employed at the port in its 150-year history, and is keen to promote gender equity and encourage and retain women into STEM roles.
Rosie Henderson is a final-year Environmental Engineering student, who has gained knowledge in waste management and water engineering as well as remediation practices. Rosie is a recipient of Deakin’s IGNITED scholarship and a committee member of Ladies in Engineering at Deakin, a networking program supporting women in STEM both professionally and socially.
Listen to Lisa and Rosie discussing the climate of gender equality and building a sustainable future.
Educate yourself with these free community events
Discover more about gender inequality and how you can make a difference:
- The Office for Women in Sport and Recreation, through the Change our Game initiative, is offering an exciting array of online speakers and presentations on IWD. Find out more and register.
- Learn how gender biases affect women’s economic security and wellbeing in this talk hosted by Charles Sturt University and the University of Canberra. Find out more and register
- Join an IWD panel discussion hosted by the George Institute for Global Health, where notable experts explore the #BreakTheBias theme, and its relevance to current challenges in health and medical research. Find out more and register
- Hear from special guest speaker and journalist Annabel Crabb at the City of Greater Geelong’s Women in Community Life Awards. Find out more and register
To find out more about gender equity at Deakin and show your support, visit the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion webpage or email [email protected].