Adopt some healthy habits for 2022 with Deakin’s Summer Program – you might score a DeakinACTIVE membership!
Welcome to 2022! What are you looking forward to this year? As we focus on new plans we encourage you to apply a positive mentality to your personal wellbeing and implement some constructive habits for the year ahead.
To kickstart some healthy changes in your life in 2022, we encourage you to make the most of the ongoing and exciting opportunities on offer in Deakin’s Summer Program. Check out the diverse range of free and fun experiences happening throughout Victoria in the Summer Program events calendar throughout January and February to keep your holiday vibes going! There’s something for everyone, whether you’re inspired by social activities, sport, art or the natural world.
We’ve also included some easy tips below to help you prioritise your wellbeing, and to stay motivated and focused throughout the year. Plus, to keep your energy firing and your spirits high as we settle into 2022, we’re also giving you the chance to win a three-month DeakinACTIVE membership! See below for your chance to win.
Make those New Year resolutions stick
First things first: begin with small or modest goals that are actually achievable. Things like having a piece of fruit instead of some chocolate, or walking an extra block each day, can actually make a big difference to your long-term health and wellbeing.
Ensure your goals are specific and give them a timeframe. Instead of ‘get fit’, try ‘go for a one-hour walk once a week’ or ‘attend three new types of exercise class this trimester’.
Make yourself accountable by writing down your goals or sharing them with family or friends. Don’t worry if you slip up a few times or need a break – resolutions aren’t about achieving perfection, but incremental change.
Apply the lessons of the past two years
We understand the disruptions of COVID have been really tough. While we are still navigating restrictions and isolation requirements as we begin 2022, for some people being forced to slow down and suspend old habits or routines has been a blessing in disguise.
Keep up any new-found passions and ask yourself what’s really important to you. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’ to activities when you’re feeling depleted, make time each day to do the things you love and don’t over‑schedule yourself.
There’s heaps of simple ways to put your wellbeing first. Start with a couple of the below tips and see how much better you feel:
- Add some colour to your plate: Enjoy your favourite foods in moderation and make sure more than half your serve comprises veggies, salads and fruit in all the colours of the rainbow.
- Swap the cocktail for a mocktail: If you’re entertaining this summer, provide some delicious non-alcoholic options. Check out these fun mocktail recipes from Bupa and VicHealth.
- Get some decent sleep: Remember when you were a kid and you had a regular bedtime every night? Make your own bedtime routine – and switch off your devices at least an hour before bed for a more restful sleep.
- Exercise regularly: Go for a walk with a friend, use a bike to get around, take the stairs when you can or try a new sport – just have a go! Who cares how you look or if you’re any good? All that matters is you’re being active while having a bit of fun.
- Ditch the smokes: Make 2022 the year you quit smoking – there’s amazing help available. As soon as you stop smoking, your body begins to repair itself; over time, your risk of life-threatening health problems, including cancer, reduces dramatically.
- Try a digital detox: Reckon you can live without your devices for a few hours – or even a few days? Give it a go and see how time away from a screen can rejuvenate you!
Win a DeakinACTIVE membership!
To help you establish healthy habits and reach your fitness goals for the year ahead, we’re giving away two double-pass memberships to DeakinACTIVE at every campus – equalling four three-month memberships each at Burwood, Geelong and Warrnambool. If you’re a Cloud Campus student and are able to access one of these fitness centres, just select your closest location.
To enter, submit the below form by 5pm on Sunday 23 January. Only one entry per student is permitted. We’ll notify the winners by email on Monday 24 January.
You must be logged in to post a comment.