Deakin Card has changed – here’s what you need to know
As your official student ID, you should always have your Deakin Card with you whenever you’re on campus. But you need to know about some recent changes to how you can use your Deakin Card.
What’s changed or is changing soon?
You can no longer put money on your Deakin Card or top up your balance. From Thursday 31 March you also won’t be able to use it to pay for any purchases you make on campus or online – for example, at cafes, the Merchandise Shop, DUSA or Health and Wellbeing Centres (most of us already use our phones to pay for stuff anyway, right?).
The best part is that you no longer need to put money on your Deakin Card to print on campus. You’ll still use your card to access printers and release your jobs, but it won’t cost you anything. Yes, you read that right – printing is now free!
What’s not changing?
Deakin Card has a range of uses, and most of these will stay the same. As well as being your official student ID and printer access card, you still need your Deakin Card to:
- attend any venue-based exams
- borrow books from the Deakin Library
- access labs or other buildings for after-hours study.
Still got cash on your card?
You can still pay for things with your Deakin Card until Wednesday 30 March. If you’ve got some money left on yours, why not take advantage of campus reopening by catching up with your friends in one of our many cafes? You could also grab some gear from the merch shop or DUSA Bookshop.
From April, we’ll be refunding any credit to students who still have personal funds or ‘Deakin Dollars’ awards left on their cards. If this applies to you, we’ll contact you closer to April and ask you to confirm your details before we process any refunds.
Printing dollars awarded to you from your faculty won’t be refunded but will contribute towards any printing required above and beyond the fair use policy.
Just contact [email protected] if you have any questions.
Haven’t got your Deakin Card yet?
It’s a good idea to get your Deakin Card soon after you enrol in StudentConnect. If you haven’t got yours yet, here’s how:
- Visit any Student Central Hub on campus. You’ll get your photo taken and receive your card straight away – and you don’t need to make an appointment (although we recommend first checking on our website that we’ve reopened).
- Order your card online by:
- Completing the Deakin Card online order form.
- Attaching your photo (JPEG, in a similar style to a passport photo).
- Attaching a scanned copy of your supporting identification, such as your passport or current drivers licence.
When you order online, you can opt to either collect your card in person at one of our Student Central Hubs or have it posted to you. If you select the mail option, you’ll receive your card via Australia Post. We’ll notify you through our online enquiry system when you can expect to receive it – this will probably take around two weeks (or four weeks if you’re overseas).