Skip to navigation Skip to content
Male and female student chatting as they walk near residences

15 November 2021

Need medical help or other wellbeing support? Here’s where to go in T3, 2021

How have you found Trimester 3 so far? We know there’s a lot to take in at the start of uni, but one thing it’s really important to know is that we provide a range of student health and wellbeing services. Feeling your best is the first step towards academic success, so we encourage you to access these services whenever you need some physical, mental or spiritual support. Most are free and are also available online if needed.

Have a medical check-up

Deakin Medical Centres offer all the services of a community medical centre. We have both male and female doctors, as well as nurses, to assist with your physical and mental wellbeing. You can also get your course-related or seasonal influenza vaccinations, as well as your COVID vaccinations – which you’ll need to be able to attend in-person classes or other spaces on campus in line with our reopening roadmap

Your confidential appointment will be bulk-billed if you have a Medicare card or Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), so you generally won’t have to pay anything (exceptions apply to private vaccines and some procedure fees).

Book online or call 9244 5577 for a face-to-face or telehealth consultation. You can also email [email protected] if you have a quick question about your health.

Talk to a professional counsellor

Don’t let uni or your personal life become overwhelming. If you’re having emotional or mental health issues, or if you just need to talk to someone, our Counselling and Psychological Support (CAPS) team offers free and confidential support to Deakin students located in Australia. This service is safe, respectful and inclusive, and is here to help all students.  

Make a telehealth appointment today to chat to one of our highly skilled counsellors. We also have some specialist counsellors available for particular students – you just need to select your relevant cohort when you book:

If you’re not ready to talk one-on-one, check out our Ask Counselling blog – it’s a collection of anonymous student questions that have been answered by Deakin counsellors. Search by topic or submit your own question for a tailored reply.

Get disability support

If disability, or a health or mental health condition, may affect your study experience, the Disability Resource Centre (DRC) can help. The DRC supports the University community to be more inclusive and provide necessary adjustments. 

When you register with the DRC, you’ll be assigned a Disability Liaison Officer (DLO), who will help you access the services appropriate to your disability or condition. You might also receive a Learning Access Plan (LAP), which is designed to minimise any educational disadvantage.

Chat to a multifaith chaplain

Whether or not you practise a religion, our multifaith chaplains offer guidance and a space for reflection. From support in times of grief or loss to non-judgmental advice about any kind of problem, you’ll find a warm welcome.

Seek support for threatening behaviour

We want our students and staff to always feel safe. Safer Community is a Deakin-wide service that aims to keep our community secure. Contact us to:

All assistance is confidential. You’ll safely be able to talk about your concerns and issues, and may receive personal safety advice, intervention guidance and support, and referral information.

Discover our digital resources

Our eWellbeing Centre is your digital health helper! This collection of articles and apps covers everything from mental health to physical health, from keeping fit to learning to relax, from eating well to staying safe.

Keep Deakin COVIDSafe

The safety of our community remains Deakin’s priority. To attend campus, you must:

Our Health and Wellbeing Centres are NOT COVID-19 testing facilities. If you have any flu-like symptoms, call the 24-hour hotline on 1800 675 398 or visit the Victorian Government’s coronavirus website for a list of testing sites and other information.

Still not sure where to go?

Just contact Student Central, who can direct you to services right across the University. 

back to top