Skip to navigation Skip to content
Two Deakin Peer Mentors

22 October 2021

Settle into uni in T3 with the help of a Business and Law Peer Mentor

Starting university and adjusting to a new routine can feel pretty daunting at first. But fear not! Our Business and Law Student Peer Mentor Program is here to help you settle in and make a great start to uni life.

Throughout Weeks 1–5, you’ll meet regularly in small groups with your Mentor who will share tips and tricks for achieving success, and demystify some of the ins and outs of your study area. From navigating DeakinSync to getting around, from finding resources to becoming involved on campus, you’ll discover all the essentials of university life. You’ll be able to attend larger workshops and group discussions, as well as social events.

The program will also discuss ways to set yourself up for success through things like goal-setting, time management and resilience.

Sound good? Hear from a Business and Law student who’s experienced the program firsthand.

From mentee to mentor: why Braedon loves the Peer Mentor Program

Peer mentor Braedon WaddellBraedon Waddell is a Peer Mentor and Drop-in Station Mentor for the Business and Law Student Mentor Program.

He is also Student Chair of the 2021 Faculty of Business and Law Student Experience and Engagement Committee, and a recipient of the Deakin Scholarship for Excellence.

Braedon became a Peer Mentor after experiencing the benefits of the Business and Law Program as a mentee:

I joined Deakin to build strong relationships and understand what it takes to be on the leadership track. But university can be overwhelming and priorities can change over the course of a degree.

By the middle of my second year at Deakin, my expectations for majoring in Chemistry and Material Sciences changed when I transferred into studying a Bachelor of Laws in tandem with my Science degree. When I transferred into this new degree, I knew that I had many areas in which to grow and improve.

It is at times like this that we need mentors who relate to our stories about the challenges we face and provide insights on how to overcome them. This can reassure us and build our confidence. The learning of experience is why we must ask questions and don’t hold back – it is crucial to be as open as you can when you’re managing uncertainty.

So I decided to make the most out of what a mentor could teach me about study and myself. I joined the Faculty of Business and Law Peer Mentor Program, committing to my own learning, and building the scope and quality of my networks. In time, I became a mentor myself as well as engaging in a range of other volunteering opportunities.

I’ve learned an effective mentor remembers they are a role model and passes on their own learning experiences. The mentoring relationship comprises genuine leadership skills that you will need for job interviews and graduate programs. You should not hesitate to share experiences, either as a mentor or mentee, and create an open environment for learning through everyone that you meet.

I now have the opportunity to drive my own purpose and direction, becoming that sounding board for new students as a mentor myself. Discussing topics with mentees from various cultural and personal backgrounds has provided me a way to help others build their academic style and gain the confidence to learn independently.

I recommend that you join the program too. I have not only been awarded as an Undergraduate Star Mentor and received an Outstanding Leadership Award this year, but also received many opportunities to undertake more volunteering and extracurricular experiences.

Sign up to join the program in T3, 2021

We’d love for you to join the program. So if you’re commencing your studies in T3 – or even if you started earlier in 2021 – it’s an amazing way to feel confident with your study, create professional connections and meet other students.

Find out more and apply now. And don’t miss our online orientation session, where you can meet some of our Mentors and get any questions answered:

When: Friday 5 November, 3–4pm
Register now