Skip to navigation Skip to content
Women's Health Week

6 September 2021

This Women’s Health Week, discover how Deakin can help you feel your best

Happy Women’s Health Week, ladies of Deakin! Running from 6–10 September, this campaign aims to get Australia’s amazing women to implement some positive changes that can last a lifetime.

Many women are pretty good at putting themselves last, focusing on the health of their loved ones at their own expense. If lack of time, family commitments or other priorities are barriers to a healthy lifestyle, we say: ‘No more – you’re too important to neglect!’

Each day of Women’s Health Week focuses on an important topic:

Also sign up to receive free health articles, podcasts, recipes and more, and check out the range of events and online activities.

Your health and wellbeing matters to us

Women’s health can be complicated, so at Deakin we provide a range of tailored support services to help you feel your best while you study.

We asked three of our wonderful Deakin medical staff – Katrina (Waurn Ponds), Julie (Burwood) and Fiona (Warrnambool) – to outline what female-specific services you can access on campus or online, and some tips for staying healthy no matter how busy you are.

What women’s health services are available at Deakin Medical Centre?

Julie: Many women prefer to see female health professionals. As part of the Deakin Medical Centre, the Burwood Campus has six female doctors, four female nurses and a female mental health nurse.

Katrina: Waurn Ponds and Waterfront campuses both have two female doctors and four female nurses.

Fiona: Warrnambool Campus has a nurse-only medical centre. Women’s health information is provided, with referral to appropriate and relevant services if required.

Julie: Some of the services we offer include:

It’s easy to book an appointment online.

Why should women have a regular health check?

Katrina: To help you stay healthy, and to pick up early warning signs of any disease or illness. You can also make self-checking part of your regular routine. Things to monitor at home include:

Julie: Intimate partner violence is one of the biggest impacts on women’s health. If you’re experiencing family violence and don’t have someone to talk to, please contact Deakin’s Safer Community service or 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732).

How do you keep a healthy body and mind?

Julie: I keep active and eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. I check in with family and friends, and I try to get a good night’s sleep each night. I also see my GP regularly, and I’m vaccinated against COVID-19 and Influenza.

Katrina: Exercising and catching up with friends keep me healthy. I have a routine where I exercise every morning – it doesn’t have to be big, just walk my dog or do some yoga or pilates. I make a point of catching up with family or friends every day.

Which services do you recommend for more information or support?

Fiona: Marie Stopes Australia is an independently accredited and safe abortion, vasectomy and contraception provider. Butterfly Foundation provides support for eating disorders and body image issues. Family Planning Victoria promotes reproductive and sexual health for all Victorians through clinics, education and advocacy. The Melbourne Sexual Health Centre and Jean Hailes are useful for sexual and women’s health.

Girl power is alive at Deakin!

Sometimes nothing beats hanging out with your favourite ladies. Joining one of the women-focused DUSA clubs makes it easy to connect with like-minded and awesome female students, so check out the following:

%d bloggers like this: