Skip to navigation Skip to content
Residential student Todd White at Waurn Ponds Campus

4 August 2021

Thinking about living on campus? 2021 resi Todd shares some inside info

At the start of Trimester 1, we chatted to Todd White as he moved into his new on-campus home at Waurn Ponds. One of the inaugural residents of the new Willem Yaluk College, the second-year Bachelor of Health and Physical Education student was keen to experience life on Res after a COVID-interrupted year in 2020.

While COVID is unfortunately still causing interruptions to how we study and live, we caught up with Todd to see if living on campus has met his expectations, and how being part of the Res community has helped him navigate the ups and downs of 2021.

Thanks for chatting to us again, Todd! How would you sum up your 2021 so far?
2021 has been a year where we have needed to continually adapt to the changing circumstances we’re currently living in. It has been a year to recognise and value the importance of strong relationships with family and friends, as well as being able to find gratitude for what we already have. 

What are your favourite experiences of living on Res?
Living on Res has enabled me to meet new people from all walks of life. My favourite moments would definitely be attending events provided by Campus Life, which encourage the residents to interact with one another and enjoy each other’s company. 

What activities have you participated in?
There have been many events held so far this year, such as multiple food events, bingo nights, different sorts of fun games and also our weekly run club for those keen on a social run once a week. 

Can you share your daily routine with us?
I don’t have a strict daily routine; however, each morning I like to get in some form of exercise, which helps clear my mind and enables me to focus better when I study or attend classes. I believe it’s important to find a good balance between your studies and hobbies, as the uni year is a marathon not a sprint. Finding a good balance that works for you will enable you to have a successful uni experience. 

Any tips for students considering moving on Res?
The Deakin Residential team makes a conscious effort to create a welcoming and safe environment for all residents, with the help of our residential leaders. Living on Res has given me the opportunity to gain more independence living away from home with the support of the Deakin Res community, as well as create lifelong friendships.  

You can still live on campus this year!

Applying for on-campus accommodation at Deakin is easy. Our step-by-step guide will help you through the process and give you the best chance of snagging a spot. 

There’s still places available for T2 at Burwood, Geelong and Warrnambool. You could also take advantage of our short-stay accommodation for an upcoming internship or placement.