How you can access Deakin services in Trimester 2/Semester 2
While we continue to adjust to COVID-19 outbreaks, restrictions and ongoing change, we’re excited to see more students on campus for T2/S2 to make the most of the vibrant campus spaces, learning and social opportunities available!
- For those of you enrolled in campus-based study, you can look forward to an expanded range of physical learning activities in T2/S2, including timetabled classes, seminars, regular consultations and supervised activities like placements, fieldwork, study tours and research activities. These will continue to be delivered alongside online learning resources and experiences.
- If you’re studying wholly online, you’ll continue to be supported via our premium online learning model. As an online student, you are also welcome to attend campus to study, meet friends, visit the library or make use of Deakin’s various facilities.
Before attending the campus it is essential that you check the COVIDSafe FAQs.
Make the most of your Deakin community
During T2/S2, you can access our services no matter where you are! All services and activities will comply with the current government and COVIDSafe guidelines.
- Student Central: On-campus hubs are open for face-to-face enquiries. You can make a one-on-one appointment with a Student Adviser either in person, via phone or Zoom for advice regarding your enrolment, course and units. You can contact Student Central with your questions by phone or via an online enquiry too. There’s also a range of online self‑service options – for example, you can order your Deakin Card, manage your student timetable or make a payment.
- Cafes: Our cafes are open but check the venues at your campus for specific opening hours and more information.
- DUSA: Drop by the DUSA reception on your campus to say hi! Our friendly Student Association representatives would love to meet you and answer any questions you may have. You can also contact DUSA staff via email, and the DUSA Advocacy and Legal Service teams can also assist you via phone or online. The Burwood bookshop is open from 9am–4.30pm for in-store sales and Click & Collect pickups (remember you must check-in via the displayed QR codes), but they can also deliver straight to your door if you’d prefer to shop online!
- Deakin Abroad: You can contact the Deakin Abroad team via email and phone, or book an online appointment.
- Deakin Library: Library spaces at all campuses are now open, but check the opening hours for your specific library as these may have recently changed.
- You are encouraged to book a space ahead of your library visit as capacity guidelines will be strictly followed.
- Access can change during any restrictions, so please carry your Deakin ID card when attending.
- You are encouraged to download the Deakin Borrow app which allows you to scan and borrow physical items straight off the shelf from your campus library at any time during opening hours, as service desks may be unstaffed.
- You can contact the library via Library Chat, email or phone. Visit the library’s COVID-19 update blog for the latest information.
- Learning spaces: Need a quiet place away from home to study? There are dedicated learning spaces on each campus where you can book some time to settle in with your books and learning materials.
- Computer labs: There is access to computer labs on campus:
- Waurn Ponds: JC (Library) computer lab
- Waterfront: Building D computer lab (access via Western Beach Road)
- Warrnambool: Building J level 2 computer lab.
- Study Support: Access a range of academic and study support online, including help from Language and Learning Advisers, Writing and Maths Mentors and Smarthinking.
- IT Help: For any issues with CloudDeakin tools and other technologies, access IT Help online or over the phone, Monday to Friday, 8am–8pm, and weekends, 11am–5pm.
- Warrnambool study hall: The Warrnambool study hall is closed but Warrnambool students can access online peer support services.
Health and wellbeing
- Deakin Medical Centres: Remain open for free and confidential face-to-face or telehealth consultations. By appointment only – book online or by phone.
- Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS): Students located in Australia can talk to one of our highly skilled social workers and psychologists with a telehealth appointment – book online or by phone.
- Safer Community: If you feel unsafe or need to report sexual harm or family violence, contact the Safer Community team online, by phone or by email.
- DeakinACTIVE: The DeakinACTIVE fitness centres at Burwood, Waurn Ponds and Warrnambool have reopened. Remember you must wear a mask in the gym (can be removed for strenuous activity), scan the QR code on arrival and bring a towel (we’re enforcing a ‘no towel, no workout’ policy). You must also adhere to all hygiene and social distancing practices as outlined on the DeakinACTIVE website.
- Disability Resource Centre (DRC): The DRC is available Monday to Friday, 9am–4pm via phone or email.
- Multifaith Chaplains: Contact your preferred Multifaith Chaplain via phone or email for a confidential chat.
Help us stay COVIDSafe
While we want as much campus activity as possible during T2, the safety of our community remains Deakin’s priority. To attend campus, you must:
- Carry a face mask at all times and wear as required unless a lawful exception applies.
- Adhere to all COVIDSafe practices, including checking in via the COVIDSafe QR codes.
- Self-check and stay home if you’re unwell – use the Symptom Checker testing and quarantine guidance.
- Complete Deakin’s COVIDSafe module before attending a campus for the first time.
- Maintain good hand hygiene and use the hand sanitiser available.
These measures form part of our COVIDSafe plan and are in place to keep our community safe. Read more about the rules we all must follow to keep Deakin COVIDSafe.
How to stay up to date in T2/S2, 2021
- You’ll receive regular communications from the University and your Unit Chairs about the evolving COVID-19 situation and any changes that affect you.
- Check your unit sites via DeakinSync and monitor your student emails for course updates, information and tips as you study online.
- Bookmark our FAQs for the latest information about what services are available and how to access them.