DeakinACTIVE in May: test your limits, celebrate Pride Week and join the Battle of the Faculties!
How are you tracking with your 2021 fitness goals so far? As we enter the last month of autumn, make the most of the milder weather that remains and get MOVEing – it’ll benefit your studies in many ways!
Next month, DeakinACTIVE is hosting more May challenges, and supporting the Pride Week and Battle of the Faculties events happening both online and on campus, so join us and give your energy levels and social life a massive boost!
If you could use a goal to keep you motivated and feeling great, then join one of our May group challenges. You can go it alone, sign up with a fitness buddy, or challenge your friends and really amp up your competitive side. You could also score some cool prizes for your efforts!
To sign up and view full terms and conditions, log into the DeakinMOVES app*, navigate to the ‘Join our challenges’ section of the homepage, and choose your challenge!
- MOVE it May. Suited to all fitness levels, this challenge will push you to log 30,000 MOVES in the app by 31 May. All participants who complete the MOVEs total during May will go in the running to win DeakinACTIVE prizes, such as a one-month DeakinACTIVE Membership, or a personal training session and Body Composition Scan.
- Marathon May. If you really want to push yourself, try our 42km running challenge! Anyone who runs a total of 42kms by the end of May will go into the draw to score a one-month DeakinACTIVE Membership or personal training session and Body Composition Scan.
From Monday 3–Friday 7 April 2021, DUSA Pride Week will be lighting up Deakin’s campuses in a rainbow to celebrate inclusiveness and acceptance of the LGBTIQ+ community. We urge all students to attend the Rainbow Celebration events on campus to show our LGBTQI+ peers that they are welcome and encouraged to be themselves on campus and in the wider community.
DeakinACTIVE is committed to providing welcoming, safe and inclusive spaces for our LGBTQI+ peers and allies. As part of Pride Week and IDAHOBIT Day, we invite you to visit the gym and workout for free from 9–11am on both Wednesday 5 May and Monday 17 May (IDAHOBIT Day 2021). On both days we’ll also be hosting a low-intensity and fun group fitness class at 9.30am at the Burwood & Waurn Ponds gyms, so make sure you check it out! DeakinACTIVE Warrnambool will also have free access from 10–11am on both days. If you’d like to attend for free during these times, all you’ll need to do is complete a casual user form when you arrive at the gym.
Fight for your faculty
Join us on 20 May for basketball, badminton and DeakinMOVES activities in the first-ever Battle of the Faculties: Sports Edition! You can opt to join us on campus at Burwood, Waurn Ponds and Warrnambool or participate online. Individual and groups are welcome, and teams will be arranged on the day.
The faculty that accumulates the most points will win the event, and prizes up for grabs include:
- the notoriety of being the best faculty
- highest points per individual
- highest MOVES per individual
- other door prizes on the day.
The event is free but you must register to attend.
Battle of the Faculties: Sports Edition
Thursday 20 May, 4–6pm
Burwood, Waurn Ponds, Warrnambool or online
Come along to take a break from the books, have some fun and meet new people – we hope see you there!
* If you cannot download the DeakinMOVES app please contact DeakinACTIVE.