Do you understand Deakin’s universal submission time for assignments?
For many students undertaking multiple units, variable assignment deadlines can cause confusion and sometimes stress. In response to student and academic feedback, and in consultation with DUSA, last year Deakin introduced a universal submission time for assignments.
What is the universal submission time?
The due date specified for any of your assignments is the last day on which your assignment must reach your faculty or be submitted on your online unit site in DeakinSync.
The deadline for all assignment submissions via a unit site Dropbox will be 8pm AEST (or AEDT) on the date your assignment is due. Late penalties will be applied for submissions that are received after 11.59 pm (AEST or AEDT) on the due date.
These parameters for the universal submission time are outlined in your unit guides for non-exam assessments in Trimester 1/Semester 1.
Why is there a universal submission time?
The universal submission time was implemented to:
- ensure a consistent student experience across units; both in assessment submission deadlines and the time from which late penalties are applied.
- allow students to submit their assessment during the hours in which IT Help is available (8am–8pm)
- allow a short grace period (3 hours 59 minutes) for submitting in different time zones or should other difficulties arise
- ensure academic penalties are only applied after 11.59pm (AEST or AEDT) on the due date for the assignment.
To find out more about the universal submission time, visit the Assignments webpage on the student website.
Feeling stuck? We’re here to help
If you need assistance with an assignment, don’t leave it to the last minute! We have plenty of study services available at Deakin to help you.
- If you could use some advice on completing any of your assessments, see our recent tips on how to improve your assignments.
- Feeling overwhelmed by your to-do list? See our advice on staying balanced and productive around assignment time.
- Visit the Study Support webpage to get the assistance and support you need, including help from Language and Learning Advisers, Writing and Maths Mentors and the Smarthinking service. Our trained staff and peer mentors will be able to provide you the resources and help you need to understand and complete your assignments.