Skip to navigation Skip to content
Stident walking at Geelong Waterfront

16 March 2021

Our health and wellbeing services are here to help you succeed

Welcome to Trimester 1! We hope you’re excited about diving into study and all the other wonderful aspects of uni life, especially after such a challenging 2020.

One thing we all learnt last year is the importance of self-care, and staying healthy and safe. If during your time at Deakin you ever need physical, mental or spiritual support, you can access the following student health and wellbeing services. Most of these are free and available online if needed.

Have a medical check-up

Deakin Medical Centres offer all the services of a community medical centre. We have both male and female doctors, as well as nurses, to assist with your physical and mental wellbeing. The Medical Centre also offers course-related and seasonal influenza vaccinations. 

Your confidential appointment will be bulk-billed if you have a Medicare card or Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), so you generally won’t have to pay anything (exceptions apply to private vaccines and some procedure fees).

In the first instance, you’ll have a real-time telehealth appointment – which means you’ll call your doctor over the phone or Zoom. If your doctor decides you need a follow-up physical examination or face-to-face consultation, they’ll discuss this with you. 

Book online to make an appointment. You can also email [email protected] if you have a quick question about your health.

Talk to a professional counsellor

Don’t let uni or your personal life become overwhelming. If you’re having emotional or mental health issues, or if you just need to talk to someone, our Counselling and Psychological Support (CAPS) team offers free confidential psychological support to Deakin students located in Australia.

Make a telehealth appointment today to chat to one of our highly skilled counsellors.

If you’re not ready to talk one-on-one, check out our Ask Counselling blog – it’s a collection of anonymous student questions that have been answered by Deakin counsellors. Search by topic or submit your own question for a tailored reply.

Get disability support

Our Disability Resource Centre (DRC) supports the University community to be more inclusive of, and provide adjustments for, students for whom disability, or a health or mental health condition affects their access to education.

When you register with the DRC, you’ll be assigned a Disability Liaison Officer (DLO), who will help you access the services appropriate to your particular disability or condition. You might also receive a Learning Access Plan (LAP), which is designed to minimise any educational disadvantage.

Chat to a multifaith chaplain

Whether or not you practise a religion, our multifaith chaplains offer guidance and a space for reflection. From support in times of grief or loss to non-judgmental advice about any kind of problem, you’ll find a warm welcome.

Contact a chaplain by phone or email today.

Seek support for threatening behaviour

We want our students and staff to feel safe at all times. Safer Community is a Deakin-wide service that aims to keep our community secure.  

Contact Safer Community to:

All assistance is confidential. You’ll safely be able to talk about your concerns and issues, and may receive personal safety advice, intervention guidance and support, and referral information.

Discover our digital resources

The eWellbeing Hub in DeakinSync is your digital health helper! This collection of articles and apps covers everything from mental health to physical health, from keeping fit to learning to relax, from eating well to staying safe.

Remember: we need to keep Deakin COVIDSafe

If you come to campus for an in-person medical consultation or other appointment, you must:

Our Health and Wellbeing Centres are NOT COVID-19 testing facilities. If you have any flu-like symptoms, call the 24-hour hotline on 1800 675 398 or visit the Victorian Government’s coronavirus website for a list of testing sites and other information.

Still not sure where to go?

Just contact Student Central, who can direct you to services right across the University.

back to top
%d bloggers like this: