New year, new you: boost your energy and make the most of 2021 with DeakinACTIVE!
DeakinACTIVE is the home of sport, health and wellbeing at Deakin.
Welcome to 2021! We hope you’re feeling rested and renewed from your holidays and ready to tackle your goals for the new year.
January signifies a fresh start for us all and a chance to enjoy our great outdoors and beautiful summer weather, but if you’re feeling a little partied out from the festive season or could use some help reaching a specific fitness goal, the team at DeakinACTIVE are here to help!
No matter what your New Year’s resolutions may be, we can help you make the most of the year ahead by showing you how to increase your energy, reduce feelings of stress and feel more connected to other students at Deakin.
Ready? Let’s get started!
Download the DeakinMOVES app
If one of your New Year’s resolutions is to amp up your physical activity, download the DeakinMOVES app today* and start your journey to a healthier, happier you.
DeakinMOVES is like a fitness buddy that fits in your pocket – not only does it allow you to book your workouts at our DeakinACTIVE gyms, it also includes a range of features to help you stay fit on the go and connect with other students while studying from home.
DeakinMOVES tracks your daily movement or ‘MOVES’ by bringing all your other health app activity into the one place, so you can set goals, commit to challenges and see how everyone else in the DeakinMOVES community is progressing.
What’s happening in January on DeakinMOVES?
- Join a range of live, interactive exercise classes every day on DeakinMOVES. Our classes include tabata, yoga, pilates, HIIT bodyweight and strength workouts. To get started just pick a class that works best for you and connect in real-time using your phone! Classes are generally 30 minutes long and are held at lunch time hours or in the early evening for your convenience. Prefer the big screen? See our instructions on how to stream your workout to your Smart TV!
- Can’t make a live class? No worries! You can now work out whenever you want by accessing our On-Demand virtual library of classes in DeakinMOVES. Search by class type and then filter by class duration, trainer, music and accessories required.
- Want to really push yourself? Join one of our monthly group challenges in which you can tally your MOVES, compete against your friends and win cool prizes! Join our ‘Jump into January’ challenge – there’s still more than two weeks to go! – and if you can reach the end goal of 15,000 MOVES by 31 January, you’ll go in the running to win a free Body Composition Scan consultation at DeakinACTIVE (see the DeakinMOVES app for full terms and conditions).
- Find advice on looking after your health. DeakinMOVES features a range of Health and Wellbeing blogs relating to health and wellness, fitness, mental health, and regularly posts nutritious recipes and simple exercises you can try at home.
- See what gym spaces are available for you to book this month. If you would like to visit your local DeakinACTIVE gym, you can see what time slots are available for you to book ahead of time – keep reading below for more information about attending the gym.
Planning to visit the gym?
All COVIDSafe practices and hygiene services are in place so you can feel safe working out at DeakinACTIVE.
With reduced numbers allowed inside, you do have to book to attend – for both your gym workouts and your group fitness classes. Download the DeakinMOVES app* if you haven’t already, create a profile and head to the ‘Gym & Group Fitness Bookings’ to book in your workouts. Please note this is a necessary requirement to support COVID-19 contact tracing, and we are unable to open the gyms unless we all commit to following the process.
When you arrive, you must check in by scanning the QR code displayed on the posters at entrances and adhere to all specified safety and hygiene practices (please read these rules on the DeakinACTIVE site before attending the gym). If you have any questions about visiting the gym, please feel free to contact the DeakinACTIVE team at your campus gym.
* If you cannot download the DeakinMOVES app please contact DeakinACTIVE.