Skip to navigation Skip to content
Writing Mentor Jess Hay

5 January 2021

Want better marks this year? Writing Mentor Jess shares tips on how you can make your assignments shine

Welcome to 2021! A new year means a fresh start and a chance to focus on new goals.

If one of your resolutions is to improve your work – and we could all use a post-holiday refresher on creating strong assignments! – then take a look at this well-informed advice for boosting your writing from Deakin student and Writing Mentor Jess Hay. We also quizzed Jess about what it’s like being a Writing Mentor and how you can get the most out of this Study Support service at Deakin.

What course are you studying?

I am currently studying a Bachelor of Forensic Science (Hons). However, I previously completed a Bachelor of Forensic Science/Bachelor of Criminology at Deakin.

What are you hoping to do after university professionally?

I am hoping to go into academia and become a lecturer and researcher in forensics and chemistry.

Why did you want to become a Writing Mentor at Deakin?

I wanted to get more involved with the University and give back to students. I have always been the type that likes helping people so I thought ‘why not join some of the Students Helping Students programs such as Writing Mentors?’ I applied to become a Writing Mentor at the end of 2018 and have been a Writing Mentor since the beginning of 2019.

In your experience, what are the most common writing problems that many students face?

The majority of question I see are usually regarding referencing. There are a lot of different referencing styles around and the referencing style required can vary from unit to unit (or even sometimes assessment to assessment). It is easy for students to become overwhelmed by this or confused – especially when some of the required information is hard to find or it is unclear what type of source something is. Deakin has recently updated their referencing guides to make them more user-friendly and I encourage students to have a look at them. 

Another common writing problem I commonly see from students is not knowing where to start in writing their assessment. Sometimes what students need is just another student to listen to them discuss the content they have read and bounce ideas off.

What sort of challenges do you think students face studying online?

I think students face a combination of challenges surrounding both motivation and maintaining a productive study space but also, I find, that studying online can increase the risk of feeling unsupported in your studies as you cannot just chat to a lecturer individually after a lecture or go to their office during consultation times. I feel that it is a lot easier for students to fly under the radar and not approach teaching staff or other support services – such as Writing Mentors for support. While online study, I find, often requires higher levels of independent learning than on-campus study, it is important to remember that independent learning does not mean being unsupported.

What are your top three tips for students who may lack confidence in their writing and who want to improve?

1. As cliché as it probably sounds, just start writing. I find when I am struggling to write an assessment piece or lacking confidence, just getting something down on the page can go a long way to improving my confidence. You can always edit and proofread later (which you should always do).
  2. Read a lot, especially within the discipline you are studying and needing to write in. Journal articles and books in the discipline you are studying are great to get an idea of the style and language you should be using. The more you read, the more confident you will become in writing in that style.
  3. Reach out for assistance, even if it is just getting someone to listen to your ideas or bounce ideas off. Language and Learning Advisors can be great for ongoing support. Writing Mentors are great for shorter queries and getting another student’s perspective. Smarthinking can also be used to gain detailed written feedback. However, with this tip, it is always important to remember academic integrity and recognise that others cannot make substantial changes to your work. As such, Writing Mentors cannot proofread entire pieces.

How can a student get the most out of a Writing Mentor drop-in or appointment online?

If attending the online drop-in service, it is great if students can use a microphone. This allows the student and the mentor to discuss the query verbally and really assists in communication and getting to the root of the issue. Obviously, if you don’t have a microphone, you can still communicate via the text chat function.

If emailing the Ask Study Support inbox, it is great if students can be as specific as possible with their query and include as much detail as possible. If the question is regarding a reference, it is important to include the referencing style. As the email inbox is not a real-time consultation service, there can sometimes be a delay between emails and therefore it is good to minimise the number of emails required. An initial query along the lines of ‘I need to reference this website (include link here) using APA7’ is a lot more useful than ‘I need help with an assignment’.

What are your favourite things about being a Writing Mentor at Deakin?

Interacting with students and being able to support people in their academic journey. I have always loved learning so I enjoy being able to help students find that love of learning too, while feeling supported in their studies.

Get in touch today!

Sometimes when you’re having issues with an assignment, it’s just helpful to talk things through. The Writing Mentor drop-in service can also help you review any feedback you’ve received on your first assignments so you can think about the academic skills you’ll need to focus on in your next assessments. Additionally, Writing Mentors can offer you tips on researching, understanding assignment questions and how to plan and structure your work. 

If you want to chat to someone about any aspect of your assignment, attend one of our interactive online drop-in sessions hosted by a Writing Mentor like Jess! You don’t need an appointment, just bring your assignment and your questions. You can also get in touch via email for referencing questions and brief queries.