Ready for some #SummerVibes? Make the most of the break – and win amazing prizes!
Deakin offers a range of services to help students and staff stay healthy and safe – physically, mentally and spiritually.
Welcome to summer! After one of the longest and most challenging years we’ve ever known, the arrival of summer seems to bring with it the possibility of rejuvenation, reconnection and restoration. As the year winds down, let’s all embrace the chance to take a break from the routines of study or work, head into the great outdoors, and catch up with friends and family.
We’re on a mission to get everyone at Deakin feeling these #SummerVibes, and to help you make the most of this special time while staying happy, healthy and safe. Over the next few weeks we’ll be sharing lots of information, advice and tips, on everything from avoiding the horrors of sunburn to how you can celebrate the festive season on a budget.
We’re so excited about summer that we’re also giving away a bunch of prizes! See below for your chance to win an awesome summer pack this week.
But first let’s kick things off with some essential tips on how to keep yourself – and others – safe this summer.
How to avoid common summer hazards
Protect yourself from sun exposure
Sunburn is no fun – skin can burn in the Aussie sun in just 15 minutes and we have one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world. But that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the sun – you just have to be sun smart by following the five ‘s’ words: slip, slop, slap, seek and slide.
Visit the Cancer Council website for a range of helpful information and resources on sun safety, and book in for a skin check at the Deakin Medical Centre.
Take care while swimming
Do you know what a rip is and how to swim your way to safety? Victoria has some of the world’s most beautiful beaches, but they can be unpredictable and dangerous, even for confident swimmers.
Always swim at a patrolled beach between the red and yellow flags, and never swim alone or after you’ve been drinking alcohol. The BeachSafe app locates nearby patrolled beaches and where there might be hazards in the water. Visit Play it Safe by the Water and LifeSaving Victoria for more information and resources.
Be on guard in the great outdoors
Last year’s bushfires – dubbed the ‘Black Summer’ – were some of the worst in Australia’s history. If you live in or visit a rural area, you need to be aware of the bushfire rating and be prepared for any emergency. A simple way to do this is by downloading the VicEmergency app (AppStore and Google Play) and setting up notifications for your area.
Other things to be aware of when you’re in the bush are wildlife, bugs and mosquitoes, snakes, swimming in inland waterways such as rivers and lakes, and bushwalking risks – read up before you leave home and plan accordingly. Always carry plenty of drinking water.
Stay safe on the road
If you’re heading off in the car, keep yourself and others safe by always driving within the speed limit at all times. Never drive when you’re tired, when you’ve had alcohol or drugs, or while using your mobile phone.
If you’re catching public transport by yourself at night, wait in well-lit areas near transport or security staff and download a timetable or app so you don’t have to wait for long. Once on board, sit near the driver or other people. If you’re cycling, you must wear a helmet, and if riding at night remember to don bright-coloured clothing and use a bike light.
And don’t forget that we still need to be COVIDSafe, so make sure you follow all current restrictions and socially distance where possible. Visit the Victorian Government’s coronavirus website for information, updates and advice.
Win a Deakin summer pack worth $200!
Want to soak up some #SummerVibes in style? We thought so! To help you do just that, we’re giving away one awesome summer pack – featuring a Crumpler backpack, a UE Wonderboom waterproof bluetooth speaker and other summer essentials worth a cool $200.
To enter, complete the below form – and make sure you answer the question (hint: you’ll find the answer somewhere in this blog!). Entries close at noon on Wednesday 9 December. We’ll announce the winner in our next #SummerVibes blog, to be published on Thursday 10 December.
And remember to keep an eye out for more blog giveaways in December and January!
Terms and conditions
The promoter of this competition is Deakin University ABN 56 721 584 203 of 1 Gheringhap Street, Geelong VIC 3220.
1. Information on how to enter forms part of these Terms and Conditions. By entering, entrants agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions and entries must comply with these Terms and Conditions to be valid.
2. This competition is governed by the laws in force in the state of Victoria, Australia.
3. The competition is free to enter and is strictly open only to current Deakin students. Students must complete and submit an entry form in the manner set out in the Terms and Conditions.
4. Staff employed by Deakin and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter the competition.
5. The competition period is from 10am, Tuesday 1 December to noon, Wednesday 9 December.
8. There will be a prize pool of one Deakin summer pack, comprising goods to the value of $200.
9. The total prize value is $200, and includes a UE Wonderboom Bluetooth Speaker valued at $128 and Deakin merchandise to the value of $70.
How to enter
10. Students must complete the entry form and correctly answer the competition question to be eligible.
Selection and notification of winner
11. The prize recipient will be randomly drawn. If the selected person has correctly answered the question, they will be deemed the winner and contacted by email.
12. The pack will be delivered to the prize recipient via registered mail with Australia Post. Deakin takes no responsibility for delivery times.
13. Prizes are not transferable and are not redeemable for cash. Deakin’s decision is final and binding – no correspondence will be entered into. Deakin accepts no responsibility for late, lost or misdirected entries or other communications. Entries will be deemed void if forged, manipulated or tampered with in any way.
14. Entrants consent to Deakin using their name, image or voice for promotional purposes. Entrants agree to make themselves available for a photograph and interview in the event that theirs is the winning entry and if requested by Deakin.
15. Prize recipients consent to their name and photograph being published on Deakin social media and other digital channels if requested to in any and all forms as determined by the Division of Student Life.
Privacy collection, use and disclosure statement
Personal information provided to Deakin University by entrants will be used to notify the winner of the competition. A photograph of the winners may be published on Deakin University’s social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, WordPress and Instagram and other digital channels such as the Deakin Life blog.
Deakin University complies with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic) in its treatment of personal information. Entrants have a right to access their personal information held by the University. Requests for access to personal information are managed under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic).