Meet Emily, your new DUSA President
Welcome Emily Sagolj, our new Student Association (DUSA) President!
Emily is a fourth-year Commerce and Law student majoring in Economics. She was previously the DUSA Assistant General Secretary and is excited about stepping up to the role of President. This year has been a difficult year for students and Emily is keen to make a difference.
‘Students are undeniably doing it tough. I wanted to step up to the role of President as I have the experience and resilience to lead DUSA, plus I have a great team to support me. I want to alleviate some of the pressure students are feeling,’ said Emily.
Why did you join DUSA?
I found a sense of community when I joined DUSA. Once I started getting involved in club events and meetings, university became so much more fun. DUSA is also there to reduce the day-to-day pressures students face.
What has DUSA achieved so far this year?
- a 14-day census grace period and extension to the withdrawn late (WL) date
- securing assignment extensions without medical certificates
- hardship support from Deakin for domestic and international students.
What do you have planned for DUSA in the future?
- improving promotion of DUSA events
- standardising extension criteria
- fostering a more inclusive Deakin
- ensuring concerns of Cloud students are heard
- helping students to have a smooth transition back to on-campus learning
- improving student engagement.
Why should students join DUSA?
You have probably heard about the awesome merchandise, but DUSA is so much more. It provides a Student Advocacy and Support Service (SASS), financial counselling, legal service, scholarships, support and funding for clubs and events, transport assistance and survival centres. Students can attend short trips and tours organised by DUSA. Gain some new connections and join a club. There are more than 120 clubs so you are sure to find one that interests you.
This sounds awesome. How can Deakin students be a part of the DUSA Committee?
There are a few different ways. Nominating during DUSA’s annual elections. If the election is over, you can contact the General Secretary who will let you know if there are any vacancies. If there are no spots available, get involved by becoming a DUSA Crew member. Crew members assist with DUSA events. By being part of the DUSA crew, you get a chance to meet everyone involved at DUSA.
How do students voice their concerns to the committee?
- reach out to your representative or speak to a student councilor
- contact Student Council
- contact Campus Committee.
If you are unsure of the best person to contact, get in touch with DUSA and we can direct to the best person or resource to assist you.
Edited version of article originally published on the DUSA website.
Join DUSA today!
DUSA is the voice of students and we want to ensure that voice remains true and strong – everything we do at DUSA goes straight back into creating the best possible student experience for YOU!
Whether you are new student or have been studying at Deakin for a while, a DUSA membership will enhance your university experience by helping you save money, forge friendships and gain access to all the fun activities on offer throughout the year.
Sign up for one of our affordable yearly memberships and let us help you create amazing and unforgettable memories throughout your time at Deakin. To say thanks, when you join us we’ll also give you a membership pack full of goodies!
2020 DUSA Membership Packs
- GOLD $55: Includes a DUSA hoodie, T-shirt, backpack, travel mug, wall planner, DUSA member sticker, various discounts including a 10% discount at the DUSA Bookshop.
- SILVER $30: Includes a backpack, travel mug, wall planner, DUSA member sticker and discounts.
- BRONZE $15: Includes a wall planner, USB, DUSA member sticker and discounts.
So what are you waiting for? Join online now and stay up-to-date on the latest student action by following @yourdusa on Instagram and Facebook.