Skip to navigation Skip to content
Male student at Burwood Campus

16 November 2020

Discover the health and wellbeing services that can help you succeed at uni

If you’re to succeed at uni, you need to stay healthy and safe, right? This is extra important as you study online and deal with the ongoing challenges of COVID-19. Throughout Trimester 3, there may be times when you need physical, mental or spiritual support, so it’s important that you’re familiar with all of Deakin’s health and wellbeing services.

Let’s keep Deakin COVIDSafe

If you do need to come to campus for an in-person medical consultation or other appointment, you must:

These measures form part of our COVIDSafe plan and are in place to keep our community safe.

Note that our Health and Wellbeing Centres are NOT COVID-19 testing facilities. If you have any flu-like symptoms, call the 24-hour hotline on 1800 675 398 or visit the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services coronavirus website for a list of testing sites and other information.

Medical check-ups

Deakin Medical Centres offer all the services of a community medical centre. There are both male and female doctors, as well as nurses, to assist with your physical and mental wellbeing. The Medical Centre also offers all course-related vaccinations and seasonal influenza vaccinations. 

Your confidential appointment will be bulk-billed if you have a Medicare card or Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), so you generally won’t have to pay anything (exceptions apply to private vaccines and some procedure fees).

In the first instance, you’ll have a real-time telehealth appointment – which means you’ll call your doctor over the phone or a video-conferencing service like Zoom.

If your doctor decides you need a follow-up physical examination or face-to-face consultation, they will make an appointment for you. 

Book online to make an appointment. You can also email [email protected] if you have a quick question about your health.

Counselling for students

This year has been incredibly tough, but don’t let life become overwhelming. If you’re having emotional or mental health issues, or if you just need to talk to someone, our Counselling and Psychological Support (CAPS) team offers free confidential psychological support to Deakin students located in Australia.

Make a telehealth appointment today to chat to one of our highly skilled counsellors or social workers.

If you’re not ready to talk one-on-one, check out our Ask Counselling blog – it’s a collection of anonymous student questions that have been answered by Deakin counsellors. Search by topic or submit your own question for a tailored reply.

Disability support

Our Disability Resource Centre (DRC) supports the University community to be more inclusive of, and provide adjustments for, students for whom disability, or a health or mental health condition affects their access to education.

When you register with the DRC, you’ll be assigned a Disability Liaison Officer (DLO), who will help you access the services appropriate to your particular disability or condition. You might also receive a Learning Access Plan (LAP), which is designed to minimise any educational disadvantage.

Multifaith chaplains

Whether or not you practise a religion, our multifaith chaplains offer guidance, reflection and peace. From support in times of grief or loss to non-judgmental advice about any kind of problem, you’ll find a warm welcome.

Contact a chaplain by phone or email today.

Safer Community

We want our students and staff to feel safe at all times. Safer Community is a Deakin-wide service that aims to keep our community secure.  

Contact Safer Community to:

All assistance is confidential. You’ll safely be able to talk about your concerns and issues, and may receive personal safety advice, intervention guidance and support, and referral information.

eWellbeing hub

The eWellbeing Hub in DeakinSync is your digital health hub! This collection of helpful articles and apps covers everything from mental health to physical health, from keeping fit to learning to relax, from eating well to staying safe.

Still not sure where to go?

Just contact Student Central, who can direct you to services right across the University.

back to top
%d bloggers like this: