Staying well means staying active: get moving with DeakinACTIVE this exam period
How are you looking after yourself while you’re studying from home?
As we enter exam time for this online study period, it’s more important than ever that we do something active every day to find balance in our lives and establish healthy habits.
It’s National Mental Health Month, and throughout October, we want to encourage you to get moving as part of a routine to support your overall health. Whether it’s a full heart-pumping jog or skipping session, a simple walk around the block, or even some basic isometric or bodyweight exercises in your living room, finding ways to move every day can help us reduce feelings of stress, stay mentally sharp and achieve optimal wellbeing.
Time to spring into action!
Check out the DeakinMOVES app for a range of blogs, healthy recipe ideas, group challenges and daily workouts to get you moving during your study breaks.
There’s a range of live, interactive exercise classes on DeakinMOVES every day, with tabata, yoga, pilates, HIIT bodyweight and strength workouts coming up in the next couple of weeks. To get started just pick a class that works best for you! Classes are generally 30 minutes long and are held at lunch time hours or in the early evening for your convenience.
And if you really want to push yourself and take on your uni pals, join one of our upcoming October group challenges! Each activity has now launched and will span the whole month. For full terms and conditions, please see the DeakinMOVES app.
- October 10k MOVES. This challenge is suitable for everyone, whether you’re at a beginner, intermediate or advanced level of fitness. All you have to do in this challenge is complete 10,000 MOVES before 31 October, and you’ll go into the draw to win a DeakinACTIVE prize pack containing a towel, drink bottle and hat.
- October 25k MOVES. This challenge is also suited to all fitness levels and will have you completing 25,000 MOVES before 31 October. You’ll also go into the draw to win a DeakinACTIVE prize pack (towel, drink bottle and hat).
- The Great Cycle Challenge. Wheel out your bike and start collecting kms! The person who tallies the highest amount of kilometres by 31 October will be crowned the winner and will receive a DeakinACTIVE prize pack containing a towel, drink bottle and hat.
With the weather warming up, you’ll also gain a significant mood boost if you can head outdoors for some fresh air and Vitamin D. In addition to making sure you’re adhering to current COVID-19 restrictions for your location, please consider the following precautions.
- If you’re prone to symptoms of asthma, hay fever or other allergies, you may be at increased risk of developing thunderstorm asthma (even though it can also affect anyone). Read our recent article about how to manage thunderstorm asthma, which includes more information on how thunderstorm asthma symptoms compares to those of COVID-19.
- Magpies and other native birds can become very aggressive in spring as they protect their homes and young from perceived threats, such as human interference and predatory animals. To avoid becoming a target of swooping magpies, read up on our steps to prevent and de-escalate unwanted encounters.
Stay well, enjoy the sunshine and best of luck in your final assessments!