Your guide to T2/S2 exams and final assessments
Deakin University offers a personalised experience, enhanced by innovative digital engagement. We lead by creating opportunities to live and work in a connected, evolving world.
Due to current physical distancing restrictions, there will be no venue-based exams scheduled for your Trimester 2/Semester 2 units. Your unit sites has the most accurate information on your exam or final assessment. It is essential you take the time to review this information and familiarise yourself with your final assessment tasks or exams and your requirements.
Most exams and final assessments will be delivered through your CloudDeakin unit site as one of the following options.
- A supervised online exam. If your unit is scheduled to have a supervised online exam, information on how to prepare and sit your exam will be advised in your CloudDeakin unit site.
- A timed exam. If your unit uses this format, please prepare early to ensure you have everything you need when you commence so you can focus on your exam.
- A timed exam available during a 24-hour window. As an example, you may have a two-hour exam and can choose when you start but remember you only have two hours to complete it and you’ll need to ensure you finish and submit it before the end of the 24-hour window.
- An exam which you will download to work on, then return to the site to upload it. Average working times for these exams should be listed in your unit site (i.e. 24 hours, 48 hours, or 72 hours). These exams have strict deadlines. There will be no extensions or allowance for late submissions, so make sure you allow enough time at the end of your exam to upload your work before the submission time finishes.
The T2/S2 exam period will be held from Monday 12–Thursday 22 October. We’ve put together some tips below on how to prepare for your exam as well as a CloudDeakin FAQ and Help guide. If you have more questions, visit the General exam information page.
Check StudentConnect and your unit sites
- Please check StudentConnect for your individual exam timetable and each of your unit sites for details about your exams and final assessments. It’s very important to check each unit site individually, as each unit will have different requirements.
- Please note most assessments types are time-limited and require you to start at the Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT) listed in StudentConnect. You can set or change your location for time-zone purposes until the close of business on Monday 28 September 2020 by completing the Nominate or change of exam location form. No further changes will be possible after this date. Please do this as early as possible, as updating this information is important for the timing of your exam.
- Plan your time carefully as you may have exams of varying durations and submission times that overlap. These are not considered clashes and exam dates and times will not be changed.
- Please note Access Plan adjustments remain in place and will be applied to exams where applicable. Please continue to monitor your Deakin student email address and your unit site.
Block out your exam times
Start times for exams are listed in the examination timetable released to students on Monday 31 August 2020 and are available in StudentConnect. All essential details including time-limits are listed in your unit sites. Make sure you’re familiar with the start times and record these in your diary so you’re prepared.
Get study support
Study Support has a range of tools, services and resources to help you prepare for exams. Our in-depth academic skills resource includes tips on revising for an exam and how to manage the exam on the day. You can also find some hints and tips from a student mentor.
There’s even a handy relaxation technique you can try. Progressive muscle relaxation can benefit your mental wellbeing by relaxing your body during stressful situations.
Exam period technical support
If you’re having any issues accessing your exam material, or you need help with any of the digital platforms or tools required to complete the exam, contact Deakin’s IT Help Desk.
- Off-campus: 1800 463 888
- International: +61 5227 8888
During the exam period, the IT team will be available to help you from 8am–10pm Monday to Friday, and 9am–5pm on weekends (ADST).
Complete your practice exams
You’ll be given opportunities to engage in some practice exam activities in your unit. You can also access resources to help you develop exam preparation techniques.
- Deakin’s Study Support team recently held an online ‘Preparing for exams’ session – you can view this presentation on Bb Collaborate. The session recording has been broken into chapters so you can easily access the advice you wish to focus on to succeed in your online exams.
- The Faculty of Health Peer Mentor Program is also holding a ‘Preparing for exams’ online workshop from 2–3pm on Monday 14 September. All Health students are welcome to attend this session, which includes a live demo of how to access online exams, as well as exam preparation tips and tricks from experienced students.
Plan your workload
Managing your time effectively is an important part of studying for your exams. Use our study workload planner to figure out how to fit your study time around the other commitments in your life. Enter all your commitments for the next week into the interactive planner and then see how much time you have left to revise and complete your exams or final assessments.
Get together with your study group and write practice quizzes for each other. You’ll get as much from researching and writing your quiz as you will from answering your study group’s quizzes. You can use apps like GoConqr to create quizzes or pick something else from Study Support’s set of digital study tools.