What you need to know about T2/S2 assessment extensions and Special Consideration
We are aware of some confusion relating to assessment extensions and Special Consideration for T2/S2 and would like to clarify Deakin’s position. If circumstances beyond your control, including the impacts of COVID-19, prevent you from submitting an assignment or from attending/completing an online test, you can apply for an extension or Special Consideration.
Assessment task extensions
Unit teams will be as accommodating as they can; their goal is to enable all students to meet assessment requirements in units. Don’t forget late submissions can affect follow-on tasks, delay feedback and increase time pressure later.
Applying for an extension
- Apply for an extension using the process outlined in your unit site. If there are no instructions in your unit site, complete the form on the Assignments page. Using your Faculty’s process will ensure a timely response.
- Provide enough detail in your personal statement so your unit chair understands your circumstances.
- If you apply after the due date or you require more than two weeks’ extension, you should apply for Special Consideration via StudentConnect.
Your unit chair will consider your application in the context of the unit, applying appropriate flexibility, and communicate an outcome or seek further information via your Deakin email address. Unit chairs may ask you for evidence of progress and/or appropriate supporting documentation. It is important to note there has been a significant increase in extension requests which may cause a slight delay in the response time. We ask that you please be patient; all requests will be responded to.
Things you should consider
- Seek help. If you are having difficulties, we strongly encourage you to seek assistance early from your unit team, study support or our health and wellbeing services.
- Apply early. Apply before the due date/time and during business hours, if possible.
- Due dates. Consider all of your assignment dues dates and how an extension may impact on other assessments. Use our study planning tools to help you.
Special Consideration in Trimester 2/Semester 2 2020
In T2/S2 2020, for applications submitted via the online Special Consideration system, you will be required to provide documentary evidence to support your application, as outlined on the Special Consideration website (i.e. medical certificate, IT Help ticket etc.).
Assignment extensions T2/S2 2020
If you are unable to apply for an assignment extension before the due date, or if you require an extension of more than two weeks, please apply for Special Consideration via StudentConnect within three working days of the due date, ensuring that you attach relevant documentary evidence as outlined below.
Exams/Final assessment tasks T2/S2 2020
- Please apply via StudentConnect no later than three working days after the due date of your exam/final assessment, ensuring that you attach relevant documentary evidence.
- Technical difficulties – if you have technical difficulties that cannot be resolved in the time available for you to complete the task, you must lodge an IT Help support ticket and include the ticket number when you apply for special consideration.
- Special Consideration applications for T2/S2 2020 which are granted will, in most cases, result in a special exam to be scheduled from 11–19 February 2021.
Documentary evidence required
You must provide documentary evidence when you apply for Special Consideration. For Trimester 2 2020, please note the following:
- A medical certificate is required if your application relates to a medical condition. Telehealth certificates are an acceptable form of evidence.
- If your application relates to technical difficulties, an IT Help support ticket must be provided.
- Where a statutory declaration form would normally be accepted, you are instead required to complete an Impacts Due to COVID-19 form available on the Special Consideration webpage. Please note, if you provide the Impacts due to COVID-19 form, you may still be requested to provide additional supporting documentation.
To check supporting document requirements, please check the Special Consideration webpage.