‘Wear the rainbow’ to support IDAHOBIT 2020!
Sunday 17 May is International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Interphobia & Transphobia (IDAHOBIT). Launched in 2004 to celebrate LGBTIQ+ people globally, it marks the anniversary of the World Health Organization’s 1990 removal of the classification of homosexuality as a mental disorder.
Celebrations will look a little different this year, as we all stay at home to prevent the spread of COVID-19. But being socially isolated doesn’t mean you can’t help to champion inclusion and build a better world for the LGBTIQ community.
View our Deakin Pride gallery
Submissions are now closed.
We want as many students as possible to contribute to the Deakin Pride gallery by ‘wearing the rainbow’. As we study, socialise and connect online, we all need an excuse to get out of the trackies and into something fabulous – so here’s your chance!
Here’s what you need to do:*
- Raid your wardrobe for red, orange, yellow, green, blue, pink and purple items, and dress to impress.
- Get creative with family and pets and write a message of support.
- Set your camera mode to ‘square’, take a photo or capture a short video holding your message (sound won’t be included).
- Upload your photo or video to the Together@Deakin Facebook Group or DeakinLife Instagram so we can showcase your look on social! Make sure you include #Deakinrainbow.
- If you’d also like your content included in the Deakin Pride gallery, upload your photo or video to the IDAHOBIT OneDrive folder no later than Wednesday 13 May.
*By submitting your photo or video, you give permission for the content to be used in the Deakin Pride gallery and circulated to celebrate IDAHOBIT 2020.
We’ll publish the Deakin Pride gallery on Monday 18 May, so check out DeakinLife on Facebook and Instagram to see who has the most colourful or outlandish outfit!
We stand with our LGBTIQ+ community
There’s a range of LGBTIQ+ support at Deakin, so learn more about what help is available. You can also become a member of our LGBTIQ+ Community by emailing [email protected].
And did you know that we have a gender transition procedure, which clearly outlines how we support anyone from Deakin who is undergoing, or considering undergoing, a gender transition? If you need some support in your transition, find out more about what help is available to you.
Deakin pledges to never stay silent about homophobia, biphobia and transphobia. We will always stand with our LGBTIQ+ students and staff. We are part of the solution.