Health student Abhinav Bhatia1

Health student Abhinav tells us how he balances university study with everyday routines

April 16, 2020

Faculty of Health

We’re one of the fastest growing health faculties in Australia. Across five schools, we inspire students to reach their potential, provide personal and dynamic learning experiences, and conduct world-class research.

View more

University life is experienced differently by every student (especially in light of current social distancing requirements), so it’s worth acknowledging that each student at Deakin will need to try different approaches for managing their studies and other commitments.

For an insight into how our Faculty of Health students are achieving success at Deakin, we spoke to international student Abhinav Bhatia about how he has adjusted to life and study in Australia and his tips for staying happy and well.

What are you studying?

I am studying Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Science with majors in Strength and Conditioning. I am in my third year (last year) at the Burwood Campus.

What do you enjoy most about university?

The best thing I find about Deakin is its infrastructure and inclusiveness to involve people from different cultures and traditions.

What is the most difficult part of adjusting to life in Australia and study at university?

Though things are much smoother now, I found the Australian accent bit hard to adjust to in the early part of my life in Melbourne. One difficult thing to adjust to at Deakin was its different mode of teaching compared to my home country India.

Have you used any services or resources on campus and how did they help?

Deakin has an enormous range of resources to make life smooth for students. But I personally found trimester planners, counselling and medical services, DUSA lawyers, Faculty of Health Peer Mentors and International Student Advisers very helpful.

How do you fit your study around the rest of your life? Do you have a routine?

I like to be involved in lot of daily activities apart from my study routine. It involves reading motivational books, watching movies, keeping a track of work or internship opportunities, and finding out the best places to visit for desserts and other cuisine.

What are your top tips for preparing for exams?

I believe in switching on and off during stressful exam times. I like to study for couple of hours and take a small break, having some food or watching a sports video on YouTube to relax myself. I feel healthy food and workouts are underrated in assisting during exam preparation.

How do you stay mentally, socially and physically well to juggle all the things in your schedule?

I am fitness enthusiast and cannot survive a day without any sort of physical activity. Working out an hour or two helps me to stay physically active whereas reading a book on mindfulness or mental preparation for future builds my mental strength. Talking to friends or family back In India keeps me motivated.

If you could change one thing about your university experience what would it be?

I guess I took a while to be aware of different support services being offered by the university. I wish I could have made myself aware about those services earlier in my uni life to have made my uni transition smoother.

Your biggest achievement in your study thus far?

I would say I feel really blessed to working for the university I am studying in. I am a Peer Mentor Support Officer in the Faculty of Health. Also, I was lucky to have the opportunity to work casually for NPL 2 (National Premier League) club at Box Hill United Soccer Club as a Strength and Conditioning Coach.

Anything else you’d like to share?

I really believe Deakin’s support services along with quality of education and infrastructure will prepare me as quality graduate when compared to my home country.

Need some guidance as you study online?

The Faculty of Health has designed workshops to help you thrive as you study online. Check out the Student Engagement and Transition Support Program for the upcoming events over the next few weeks.

Post navigation

%d bloggers like this: