Say no to single-use cups with Skip Zero
Deakin now has a much better way to take-away! Sign up to Skip Zero, a reusable cup swap service available at on-campus cafés The Common, Mr Tod, FooMoo and Brother Fox. In the days after you sign up, you’ll receive discount codes through the app for two coffees at half the price.
We know 15% of the Deakin community already do their part and choose reusable cups for their hot drinks. If we can get the rest of our students and staff on board, we’ll stop an estimated 600,000 cups going to landfill every year.
What is Skip Zero?
Skip Zero is a reusable cup swap initiative managed through the Skip app.
When you purchase a Skip Zero subscription for $27.50, you get access to a reusable cup, lid and network of venues that participate in cup swapping. You keep your lid (this remains yours), but each time you go to collect a new drink, you bring back your dirty cup and swap it for a fresh, commercially cleaned one – no need for you to remember to wash your cups! You will still receive the reusable cup discount at our cafés, and the app tracks how much landfill you’ve saved over time so you can see your personal contribution to our waste reduction.
Plus, the cups are 100% Australian-designed and manufactured, BPA-free, and made from recyclable material. Once they’ve reached the end of their life, they are repurposed.
Get your Skip Zero subscription for free
To celebrate the launch, we have 20 Skip Zero subscriptions to give away! To go into the running to win a subscription, tell us in 50 words or less how you practice sustainability. The competition will close on 23 March. Please see the online terms and conditions for full competition details.
How do I sign up?
Organising a Skip Zero subscription is easy, and you’ll get two coffees half-price when you sign up.
- Download the Skip app on Google Play or the App Store and register an account.
- Search for Mr Tod (Waurn Ponds and Waterfront), The Common (Waterfront), FooMoo (Burwood) or Brother Fox (Warrnambool) and select the café.
- Select the ‘Use Skip Zero here’ button. This is important – if you don’t select this button, you’ll order a coffee in a disposable cup.
- Read through the information and select ‘join the movement now!’
- Select the ‘Single Cup + 1st Year’ option.
- Add a credit card number.
- Click ‘Subscribe to Skip Zero’
- Choose your coffee or hot drink and check out.
- Go to collect your drink, and you’ll receive your lid (to keep) and a cup (to bring back… unwashed!).
- For future drinks, select the ‘Skip Zero’ option when you check out on the Skip app and take your used cup to the café. You won’t be charged the fee again; just the price of your coffee.
You can learn more on the student website by reading Skip Zero Frequently Asked Questions.
Time to waste?
We all have time to think more about our waste decisions. At Deakin, Skip Zero is just the start of many waste reduction initiatives to come this year. There are big waste challenges facing Australia, and it’s important for businesses and individuals to do what they can to improve our waste performance. We’ve got some plans up our sleeve to help us reach our 2020 waste target of just 20kg of waste to landfill per person, before we strive for more and reach zero waste by 2030.
We’ll need your help: you can read more about Deakin’s sustainability goals and initiatives on the student website.