Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Deakin Campus and trees

Published 3 February 2020

Deakin’s COVID-19 (coronavirus) FAQs – International students

Deakin’s COVID-19 FAQs


Updated 27 February 2021


The State governments staged approached to Victoria reaching COVID-Normal, requires Deakin to continue to take a measured and cautious approach to re-activating our campuses. We continue to review and adjust our plans for on-campus activity based on evolving government advice.

Learning in our current study periods will remain online, as will end-of-trimester/semester exams and final assessments. Students who have been attending any campus for permitted activities – practical, laboratory and fieldwork/off-campus experiences should continue as planned.

Please see the accessing Deakin Campuses FAQ for full details of permitted campus access as we progress through the State Government steps. 

It is essential that anyone attending the campus complete the COVIDSafe module and follows Deakin’s Plans to Scan requirements when on campus. 

If you are unwell in any way, do not attend campus. If you suspect you may have COVID-19, call the dedicated hotline on 1800 675 398. Triple Zero (000) should only be used for emergencies. International students will not have to pay for testing or treatment for coronavirus, as this will be covered by their health insurance.

Please continue to monitor this page for relevant information. 

PLEASE NOTE: For the most up to date information about Deakin operations including campuses, study information and health and wellbeing advice, please read Deakin’s COVID-19 (coronavirus) FAQ’s.

Temporary changes to student visa’s

The Australian university regulator, TEQSA (Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency), has provided advice on arrangements as a result of COVID-19 impact and border closures. This flexibility is currently applicable to the 2020 and 2021 academic years. These arrangements allow student visa holders to enrol in wholly online study, including when this will exceed the allowable one third (or equivalent) online learning for the course of study.

For 2021 commencers, these arrangements allow Deakin to support your studies by maintaining your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) provided you are enrolled in each compulsory Trimester in either on-campus or off-campus (online) units and whether you are in Australia or located in another country. Please note, by reducing your study load during this period a visa extension may be required in future at personal expense.

International Student Fee Waiver

Advice from the Department of Home Affairs has been updated.  Please read this information carefully.

Criteria to receive the Fee Waiver Form 1545

Students who held a student visa on or after 1 February 2020 and who could not complete their course within their original visa validity due to the impacts of COVID-19. This includes students who:

Criteria for Form 1545

The Visa Application Fee Waiver Form will not be completed by Deakin for students who are applying for a new student visa due to ordinary reasons that are not related to COVID19:

Accessing Form 1545 

Eligibility for Form 1545 if my student visa expires after 30 November 2020

As your visa is not expiring within the next few months, we advise you to request for a fee waiver form after the result release date (6 November 2020).

Please note that if you need to repeat any unit/s from previous trimesters and your course end date is affected, you may require another visa extension at a later stage; therefore, we recommend you to wait until the result release date for the trimester prior to your visa expiry date.

Students will be issued with the 1545 Fee waiver form with your new COE  if you meet the eligibility criteria.  Visit the Department of Home Affairs for more information. 

Submitting Form 1545 to the Department of Home Affairs

You must apply for your student visa online through your ImmiAccount. When you receive the completed Form 1545 from the University, you will be able to submit or attach the Form 1545 as supporting document for your student visa application.

 Difficulty submitting the 1545 Form?

Some troubleshooting tips as :                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

 You can refer to the Department of Home Affairs Technical help page for some troubleshooting tips.

​​​​​Alternatively,  If you are still unable to resolve your issue. you can submit the ImmiAccount technical support form           

Submitting Form 1545 while I am overseas

You can submit Form 1545 from off-shore or overseas. If you are eligible for the visa fee waiver, you must attach a completed Form 1545 from the University when submitting your student visa application online.

 Can I waive my OSHC fee with Form 1545?

No, this waiver only applies to the student visa application fee.

Failed units before T1 2020. Am I eligible for Form 1545?

You are not eligible for Form 1545 due to your failed units prior to 2020. The visa fee waiver form is not intended for students who are applying for a new student visa due to ordinary reasons that are not related to COVID-19.

Bridging visas and Form 1545

Refunds will not be available for students who have already applied for a student visa. Only new student visa applications will be eligible to have the application fee waived.

Evidence of COVID-19 impact

Students can provide further evidence of their COVID-19 related impacts (if applicable) together with the completed Form 1545 provided to you by the University. Please note that the University will not be providing a letter of support.

Can Deakin provide me with Form 1545 so that I can apply for the Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485) visa?

Deakin cannot provide you with Form 1545 for the Temporary Graduate visa (Subclass 485) application until the Department of Home Affairs implements the new changes.

According to the advice from the Department of Home Affairs on 27 August 2020, at this stage, the Department is not accepting Form 1545 for Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485) visa eligibility.

Visit the Department of Home Affairs for more information. 


Managing your enrolment

Updating your personal details

It is essential students keep their home and postal address up to date in StudentConnect all the time. Your home address is your permanent home; the postal address is where you are during the Trimester.

Reducing study load in T3 2020

International students are required to complete their course within the expected duration specified on your CoE. This requires you to study eight credit points during each academic year to enable you to complete your course within their CoE course duration. You can spread your units during three trimesters subject to availability of units. You must follow your course plan provided by the Course Adviser. If you have commenced your course in trimester 3, this is a compulsory trimester for you and therefore you are required to maintain a full-time enrolment during T3. If you plan to reduce your study load, you must discuss your plan and with a Course Adviser at the Student Central for approval and obtain a new course plan.  

For continuing international student, usually, Trimester 3 is not a compulsory study period unless it is required under your course structure. If Trimester 3 is not a compulsory requirement for your course, you are not required to enrol in Trimester 3 but you need to ensure to follow your course plan and complete your course by the course end date specified on your CoE. If you are required to reduce your study load due to compassionate and compelling circumstances, you must get this approved by a Course Adviser at the Student Central and get a new course plan.

If you have deliberately under-enrolled during compulsory trimesters without faculty approval and did not add units in T3 to cover your under-enrolment, you may not be entitled to a new CoE to extend your student visa later. In this situation, you will have an option to transfer to ‘Off-Campus’ mode and complete your degree from your home country.

Trimester 3 intermission

For continuing international student, usually, Trimester 3 is not a compulsory study period unless it is a compulsory requirement of your course structure therefore you are not required to apply for an intermission. However, if Trimester 3 is compulsory in your course structure or you have commenced your course in Trimester 3, this becomes a compulsory trimester for you, therefore, you are required to apply for an intermission. Your intermission will only be approved if there are compassionate and compelling circumstances, beyond your control. If you want to apply for intermission, you will have to discuss your request with a Course Adviser at the Student Central for further information. For further information and how to apply intermission please refer to

Latest VISA information for international students?

The Australian Government announced five visa changes to ensure international students are not worse off due to the coronavirus pandemic and that Australia remains competitive with other countries.

The changes include:

For more information visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

Temporary work restriction changes for international students

​​​Due to exceptional circumstances during the COVID-19 pandemic and the need to ensure the supply of critical services, the Department of Home Affairs and Australian Border Force will take a flexible approach to student visa holders working beyond their usual work limitations, but only in specified industries.

You can work for ​more than 40 hours a fortnight if you are:

See Temporary relaxation of working hours for student visa holders.

This Australian Government advice is subject to change, and therefore, international students should regularly review the Department of Home Affairs website.

International Student Support

Financial assistance 

Visit our Finance Assistance to find out about financial assistance programs and eligibility requirements.  Assistance is also available from:

Bupa Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) cover me for COVID-19, including testing? 

Overseas students and visitors are covered for medical services provided in hospital and out of the hospital, including GP visits and tests (e.g. pathology) as well as prescription medicines. This applies if the service is recognised by Medicare, and it has an MBS item number attached and is not an excluded service. Please note waiting periods, fund and policy rules apply.

Bupa OSHC, coverage is up to 100% of the MBS benefit. For Bupa OVC, coverage is from 100% of the MBS benefit to 100% of the cost, depending on the product. There is no change in coverage for in-patient or out-patient medical services specific for COVID-19 but if in doubt, call Bupa on 134 135 (overseas visitors) or 1800 888 942 (overseas students). Search for a Bupa friendly doctor.

Read more FAQs for Bupa overseas students.

Advice for students currently overseas 

Support for students located overseas

Deakin offers a range of support to assist students located overseas with their online study. You can read about these services online at Succeeding online.

Entry to Australia 

Only Australian citizens, residents and immediate family members can travel to Australia. All travellers returning to Australia are required by the Federal Government to serve a quarantine period of 14 days.  In accordance with the Australian government guidelines and travel restrictions, arrangements for the return of international students to Australia will be made once it is safe to do so, and in a way which protects the Australian community.

Please visit the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website for the latest travel restrictions.  

back to top