Skip to navigation Skip to content
Deakin Campus and trees

3 February 2020

International students COVID-19 and COVIDSafe FAQs

Deakin’s COVID-19 FAQs

**Updated 25 April 2022**

PLEASE NOTE: This page is updated with information for international students regularly. For the most up to date information about Deakin operations including campuses, study information and health and wellbeing advice, please read Deakin’s COVIDSafe FAQ’s.

On this page:

Current international student travel

International students need the following to enter Victoria:

  1. Have an international COVID-19 vaccination certificate, or obtain a valid foreign vaccination certificate from the country you were vaccinated.
  2. Ensure all your other Commonwealth entry requirements are in order, including completing your Digital Passenter Declartation.

When you arrive in Victoria

All international travellers arriving in Victoria, regardless of vaccination status:

    • are strongly recommended to undertake a rapid antigen test or PCR test within 24 hours of arriving in Australia
      • you are not required to self-quarantine whilst awaiting a result.
    • must undertake a PCR or a rapid antigen test if you develop COVID-19 symptoms within 7 days of arriving in Australia
      • If you have a PCR test, self-quarantine until you receive a negative result. If you test positive on a rapid antigen test, you must report your result. Follow the Checklist for COVID cases if you test positive to COVID-19
    • must comply with all COVIDSafe settings in place, such as wearing masks when required

For more information please read Returning to Australia page, the Study Melbourne international student arrivals page.

Vaccination status

Am I required to be fully vaccinated?

Yes, you are required to be fully vaccinated and you will need to prove your vaccination status when you check-in for your flight.

Information for students travelling to Australia

What vaccinations are accepted in Australia?

We recommend you’re fully vaccinated with one of the following COVID-19 vaccines approved or recognised by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA):

Two doses at least 14 days apart of:

Or one dose of:

COVID-19 vaccinations for international students and visa holders in Australia

Free COVID-19 vaccines are available to everyone in Australia, including to all Australian visa holders living in the community.

This will include:

  • all permanent and temporary visa holders
  • refugees
  • asylum seekers
  • temporary protection visa holders, and
  • bridging visa holders.

International students and other visa holders, not eligible for Medicare are required to apply for an Individual Healthcare Identifier (IHI) in order to have COVID-19 vaccination. The IHI will enable the COVID-19 vaccination and all future vaccinations in Australia to be accurately recorded. It will also give you access to an Immunisation History Statement, which can be used as evidence of vaccinations. Students should start this process as soon as possible to avoid delays.

  • To apply for an IHI, the student will need to:
  • Download and complete the Request or update an Individual Healthcare Identifier form (MS003) provided by Services Australia;
  • Get certified copies of your evidence of identity
  • Send the form and any supporting documentation by email, fax, or post to Services Australia following the instructions provided at the end of the form.
  • More information on how to get an IHI is available on the Australian Government website.

Do I need to provide proof of my vaccination?

You’ll need to be able to provide proof of your vaccination status to the Commonwealth. Please check Guidance on foreign vaccination certificates.

If you choose not to be fully vaccinated, you will not be able to attend any of Deakin’s campuses (unless you have a medical exemption), and will not be able to access many Victorian businesses, services and events (in line with state government rules).

What if I cannot be vaccinated?

If you are a traveller who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons, you will need to provide proof of a medical exemption. You should also check any requirements, particularly quarantine requirements, for Victoria.

Study and visa flexibility

Temporary removal of student visa limits on working hours

Due to current workforce shortages, the Government is temporarily removing the limit on working hours for Student visa holders across all sectors. 

We strongly encourage students to prioritise their study during a normal study period. Further students that arrive in Australia prior to the last day to add a unit for T1 study are expected to study a full-time load onshore. This change takes effect immediately and will be reviewed in April 2022.  More information can be found on the Dept. of Home Affairs website.

Reduce study load

International students are encouraged to complete their course in the Due to the impact of COVID-19, the Australian university regulator, TEQSA (Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency), has provided advice on arrangements as a result of COVID-19 impact and border closures. This flexibility is currently applicable to the 2020 and 2021 academic years and will extend to the 2022 academic year (until offshore students return to Australia or when there is further advice from TEQSA). These arrangements allow:

More details can be found on the reduced study load webpage.

Post-study work rights 485 subclass and the recognition of online study

The Minister for Education and Youth announced new arrangements to support international students wishing to access post-study work rights. Coursework masters graduates will be able to access an additional year, the 485 subclass visas for these graduates will be issued for a duration of three years. Temporary Graduate 485 subclass visa holders who have been unable to travel to Australia as a result of COVID-19 will be eligible to apply for a replacement visa. This will allow current and former Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa holders whose visas expired on or after 1 February 2020 to re-apply for a new subclass 485 visa of the same duration as their original visa. For full details visit the Department of Home Affairs website. 

Minister for Education and Youth announced new visa settings will also extend existing measures for students and temporary graduates to recognise time spent offshore studying online to count towards qualifying for a temporary graduate visa. For full details visit the Department of Home Affairs website. 

Temporary changes to student visa’s

The Australian university regulator, TEQSA (Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency), has provided advice on arrangements as a result of COVID-19 impact and border closures. This flexibility is currently applicable to the 2020 and 2021 academic years, allowing for students who are still located overseas due to the impact of COVID-19.

Deakin recognises not all students will be able to return for Trimester 1 2022, due to factors including flight availability, volatility in pricing, potential for returns based off country of location etc.  As such, 2022 is viewed as a transitional year where TEQSA flexibility is phased down based on a students location.

These arrangements allow student visa holders to enrol in wholly online study, including when this will exceed the allowable one third (or equivalent) online learning for the course of study.

What this means:

Please note: Deakin is unable to maintain Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) if students are enrolled as an ‘Off-Campus’ student which means you do not wish to apply for a student visa and come for study in Australia ( i.e. you want to complete your course from overseas in cloud mode).  Also students must be aware that by reducing their study load during this period a visa extension may be required in the future at their own expense.


Financial assistance

As per your student visa requirement, all international students must have enough money to pay for your travel, study costs, living expenses and your stay in Australia. If you have financial difficulty assistance is also available from:

In an emergency, there is a range of financial assistance options are available at Deakin – see the Financial assistance webpage for more information. You can contact a Financial Assistance Officer through Student Central.

Refund options for commencing international students

Deakin understands there are many factors outside the control of commencing students at this time. Please visit the commencing student’s refund page for information about additional flexibilities and refund options for commencing students.

Bupa Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) cover me for COVID-19, including testing? 

Overseas students and visitors are covered for medical services provided in hospital and out of the hospital, including GP visits and tests (e.g. pathology) as well as prescription medicines. This applies if the service is recognised by Medicare, has an MBS item number attached and is not an excluded service. Please note waiting periods, fund and policy rules apply.

Bupa OSHC, coverage is up to 100% of the MBS benefit. For Bupa OVC, coverage is from 100% of the MBS benefit to 100% of the cost, depending on the product. There is no change in coverage for in-patient or out-patient medical services specific for COVID-19 but if in doubt, call Bupa on 134 135 (overseas visitors) or 1800 888 942 (overseas students). Search for a Bupa friendly doctor.

Read more FAQs for Bupa overseas students.

International Student Fee Waiver

Advice from the Department of Home Affairs has been updated.  Please read this information carefully.

Criteria to receive the Fee Waiver Form 1545

Students who held a student visa on or after 1 February 2020 and who could not complete their course within their original visa validity due to the impacts of COVID-19. This includes students who:

Criteria for Form 1545

The Visa Application Fee Waiver Form will not be completed by Deakin for students who are applying for a new student visa due to ordinary reasons that are not related to COVID19:

Accessing Form 1545 

Eligibility for Form 1545 if my student visa expires after 30 November 2020

As your visa is not expiring within the next few months, we advise you to request a fee waiver form after the result release date (6 November 2020).

Please note that if you need to repeat any unit/s from previous trimesters and your course end date is affected, you may require another visa extension at a later stage; therefore, we recommend you to wait until the result release date for the trimester prior to your visa expiry date.

Students will be issued with the 1545 Fee waiver form with their new COE  if they meet the eligibility criteria. Visit the Department of Home Affairs for more information. 

Submitting Form 1545 to the Department of Home Affairs

You must apply for your student visa online through your ImmiAccount. When you receive the completed Form 1545 from the University, you will be able to submit or attach the Form 1545 as a supporting document for your student visa application.

Difficulty submitting the 1545 Form?

Some troubleshooting tips as :                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

 You can refer to the Department of Home Affairs technical help page for some troubleshooting tips.

​​​​​Alternatively,  If you are still unable to resolve your issue. you can submit the ImmiAccount technical support form           

Submitting Form 1545 while I am overseas

You can submit Form 1545 from off-shore or overseas. If you are eligible for the visa fee waiver, you must attach a completed Form 1545 from the University when submitting your student visa application online.

 Can I waive my OSHC fee with Form 1545?

No, this waiver only applies to the student visa application fee.

Failed units before T1 2020. Am I eligible for Form 1545?

You are not eligible for Form 1545 due to your failed units prior to 2020. The visa fee waiver form is not intended for students who are applying for a new student visa due to ordinary reasons that are not related to COVID-19.

Bridging visas and Form 1545

Refunds will not be available for students who have already applied for a student visa. Only new student visa applications will be eligible to have the application fee waived.

Evidence of COVID-19 impact

Students can provide further evidence of their COVID-19 related impacts (if applicable) together with the completed Form 1545 provided to you by the University. Please note that the University will not be providing a letter of support.

Can Deakin provide me with Form 1545 so that I can apply for the Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485) visa?

Deakin cannot provide you with Form 1545 for the Temporary Graduate visa (Subclass 485) application until the Department of Home Affairs implements the new changes.

According to the advice from the Department of Home Affairs on 27 August 2020, at this stage, the Department is not accepting Form 1545 for Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485) visa eligibility.

Visit the Department of Home Affairs for more information. 

Temporary work restriction changes for international students

​​​Due to exceptional circumstances during the COVID-19 pandemic and the need to ensure the supply of critical services, the Department of Home Affairs and Australian Border Force will take a flexible approach to student visa holders working beyond their usual work limitations, but only in specified industries.

You can work for ​more than 40 hours a fortnight if you are:

See Temporary relaxation of working hours for student visa holders.

This Australian Government advice is subject to change, and therefore, international students should regularly review the Department of Home Affairs website.

Managing your enrolment

Do I need to enrol/re-enrol for units in 2022?

If 2022 is your first year at Deakin you will need to wait until you receive your offer letter and enrolment details will be included.  

If you are currently studying with Deakin and continuing your study next year, you need to enrol in your units in StudentConnect. Find out more about re-enrolling for next year.

Your course information, course map and requirements can be found in the University Handbook. If you need some help or advice to select your units, book a course advice appointment with a Student Adviser.

Updating your personal details

It is essential students keep their home and postal address up to date in StudentConnect all the time. Your home address is your permanent home; the postal address is where you are during the Trimester.

Trimester 3 intermission

For continuing international students, usually, Trimester 3 is not a compulsory study period unless it is a compulsory requirement of your course structure therefore you are not required to apply for an intermission. However, if Trimester 3 is compulsory in your course structure or you have commenced your course in Trimester 3, this becomes a compulsory trimester for you, therefore, you are required to apply for an intermission. Your intermission will only be approved if there are compassionate and compelling circumstances, beyond your control. If you want to apply for intermission, you will have to discuss your request with a Course Adviser at the Student Central for further information. Further information and how to apply for intermission.  

back to top