Deakin Campus and trees1

Deakin’s COVID-19 (coronavirus) FAQs – International students

February 3, 2020

**UPDATE: 24 June 2020**


While some of the COVID-19 restrictions in Victoria have started to ease, the safety and wellbeing of our community remains Deakin’s top priority. Classes (lectures) and seminars will be delivered online for the whole of Trimester 2/Semester 2.

We are planning the gradual re-introduction of some on-campus delivery of practical classes and other activities that require campus facilities, subject to Government and University guidelines. Updates will be provided as information is available.

If you suspect you may have COVID-19, please do not attend campus. Call the dedicated hotline on 1800 675 398. Triple Zero (000) should only be used for emergencies. International students will not have to pay for testing or treatment for coronavirus, as this will be covered by their health insurance.

PLEASE NOTE: For the most up to date information about Deakin operations including campuses, study information and health and wellbeing advice, please read Deakin’s COVID-19 (coronavirus) FAQ’s.

These FAQs will be updated as new information is available.

Managing your enrolment (as an international student) in T2, 2020

I want to travel back home and study online, do I need to change my enrolment for T2, 2020? [updated 24 June]

No, you don’t need to change your enrolment. If you intend to study in Australia in Trimester 2 (T2, 2020), in most cases, you can remain in your on-campus units and study online. Please know that if you do decide to travel home, you may not be able to return to Australia until the travel restrictions are lifted, and we have no indication yet as to when that may be. 

This may impact your studies for future trimesters. 

I have practical components in my course, how do I manage these? [updated 24 June]

If, as part of your course, you are required to complete placements or other activities such as an internship, which must be completed in Australia, you may not be able to go home. Students enrolled in courses such as Nursing, Midwifery, Optometry, Medicine and Vision Science, Biomedicine, Education, will need to discuss their options with a Student Adviser. Check with Student Central if you have these types of units scheduled. This means that if you are planning to return home to study online, you need to select units for T2, 2020 that do not have any compulsory on-campus requirements such as placements or internships.

Will Deakin maintain my Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) if I change all T2, 2020 enrolled units to online study mode? [updated 124 June]

Yes, Deakin will maintain your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) provided you are enrolled in either on-campus or off-campus (online) units, and your course enrolment status remains on-campus. It does not matter if you are located in Australia or another country.

The university regulator, TEQSA (Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency), will allow student visa holders to enrol in wholly online study, including when this will exceed the allowable one third (or equivalent) online learning for the course of study. These arrangements relate to T1 and T2, 2020 only. Read more about the TEQSA arrangements

As an international student, can I enrol in less than 4 credit points/ units? [updated 24 June]

Yes, international students can enrol in fewer units than normal in Trimester 2, 2020, if your circumstances require this. However, students are encouraged to update study plans in line with their CoE end date. Please discuss this with a Student Adviser in Student Central.

Have work restrictions for international students been changed? [updated 24 June]

International students must continue to comply with their visa conditions. The Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs current advice (23 April 2020) includes the following:

Certain student visa holders can work for more than 40 hours per fortnight to support the supply of essential goods and services for Australians if they are:

  • Employed in the nursing sector
  • Employed in the aged care sector
  • International students studying medical courses 
  • Employed by a disability service provider

See Employers with access to these essential service arrangements

This Australian Government advice is subject to change, and therefore, international students should regularly review the Department of Home Affairs website.

Is there other financial assistance available from Deakin? [updated 30 May]

We have established targeted financial support for international students experiencing hardship as a result of COVID-19. Visit our Finance Assistance to find out about eligibility and how to apply.  

Do I need to let Deakin know where I am? [updated 24 June]

Yes, we need you to keep your home and postal address up to date in StudentConnect all the time. Your home address is your permanent home; the postal address is where you are during the Trimester.

Will my Bupa Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) cover me for COVID-19, including testing? [updated 24 June]

Yes, overseas students and visitors are covered for medical services provided in hospital and out of the hospital, including GP visits and tests (e.g. pathology) as well as prescription medicines. This applies if the service is recognised by Medicare, and it has an MBS item number attached and is not an excluded service. Please note waiting periods, fund and policy rules apply.

For Bupa OSHC, coverage is up to 100% of the MBS benefit. For Bupa OVC, coverage is from 100% of the MBS benefit to 100% of the cost, depending on the product. There is no change in coverage for in-patient or out-patient medical services specific for COVID-19 but if in doubt, call Bupa on 134 135 (overseas visitors) or 1800 888 942 (overseas students). Search for a Bupa friendly doctor.

Read more FAQs for Bupa overseas students.

Advice for students currently overseas 

I am currently overseas, what support is available for me [updated 24 June]

Deakin offers a range of support to assist students located overseas with their online study. You can read about these services online at Succeeding online (Link to be provided).

I am currently overseas, will I be able to enter Australia? [updated 24 June]

Only Australian citizens, residents and immediate family members can travel to Australia. All travellers returning to Australia are required by the Federal Government to serve a quarantine period of 14 days.  

Please visit the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website for the latest travel restrictions.  

I have housing and accommodation concerns [updated 24 June]

Students who are unable to enter Australia may be concerned about existing accommodation, housing lease or contract. Other students may be concerned about being denied off-campus accommodation due to fears about COVID-19. If you need advice or assistance to find accommodation please refer to our HouseMe website, which includes answers to these questions and specific information on your legal rights in Australia and the support available.

For more information visit

Post navigation

back to top