We offer our support to those affected by the current bushfire crisis
As we see in the new year, there are many Australians that are currently facing traumatic impacts by bushfires that continue to burn throughout several states. As a community, we stand together to recognise and support those that have been impacted by this persistent state of emergency and the devastation and displacement that bushfires bring.
Have you been affected by the bushfires?
The widespread impact of the disaster continues to grow, and Deakin is committed to supporting all students affected by natural disasters.
If you or your family have been impacted by these recent bushfires, there is a variety of assistance available, including financial assistance, replacement of lost essentials (books, laptops etc), flexibility with study deadlines, counselling support and bushfire relief residential scholarships.
Our Natural Disaster Assistant Packages include a personal combination of support services tailored to your needs. If you have been affected by a recent natural disaster, learn more and apply now.
If you need further, specific help, please contact one or more of the following services:
- For financial assistance, please contact Student Central.
- If you can’t get to classes or need extra time for an assignment or assessment, please contact Student Central or your unit chair.
- If you can’t complete an assessment task, check the eligibility and application process for special consideration.
- For counselling, please contact Counselling and Psychological Support (CAPS) or Deakin’s Multifaith Chaplains.
- International Student Advisers (ISAs) are available on all campuses and can also provide support. To contact an ISA, please email [email protected].
It is essential you have the right information to keep safe. To stay up to date with the current bushfires and other natural disasters, we recommend the following sites depending on your location. Each website features a map with the most current information, incidents and warnings.
- Emergency NSW
- Queensland Rural Fire Service
- ACT Emergency Services Agency
- South Australian Country Fire Service
- NT Police, Fire & Emergency Services
- Tasmania Fire Service
- Emergency WA
We say an enormous thank you to the brave firefighters, emergency service workers and many volunteers who have risked their lives to protect people, homes and land and continue to do so.
You can help make a difference – the following organisations are accepting donations: