Run by students, for students, DUSA is dedicated to enriching your experience at Deakin, offering parties, sport, trips and tours, short courses, clubs and more!
We have all been encouraged to ask the question ‘R U OK?’, but then what comes next?
Do you feel emotionally equipped to talk openly with a person who may be suicidal? How can we stay calm and constructively support a person who may confide some potentially dark and confronting thoughts with us?
This one-day blended workshop, CALM (Connect, Ask, Listen, Monitor), aims to:
- start a conversation about suicide
- provide you with the tools to recognise the warnings signs that somebody may be suicidal, and then to ask the person whether they may be thinking of suicide
- enable you to have a safe and intentional conversation if the person answers ‘yes’.
The workshop will also give you the resources to develop a safety plan and then link them into services or supports following your conversation if required. Most importantly, it will teach you how to stay CALM when having this conversation.
The training will be delivered in a supportive, respectful and inclusive environment, accepting each individual’s differences, with consideration and adaptation for their culturally diverse needs. You will obtain a certificate of attendance after completing this course.
Burwood, Saturday 31 August 2019
Where: Burwood Campus
Geelong, Sunday 1 September 2019
Where: Geelong Waterfront Campus
You will be required to complete some pre-course work prior to your workshop.
DUSA Gold membership: $192
DUSA Silver membership: $216
DUSA Bronze membership: $228
If you have any access requirements or enquiries please contact email@example.com to discuss your needs.
If you need to talk to someone…
- If you or someone you know needs support, make an appointment with a counsellor from Deakin’s Counselling and Psychological Support (CAPS) service.
- For immediate assistance, phone Lifeline on 13 11 14 for 24-hour, confidential support.