Facilities Services is responsible for the operational management of Deakin’s existing infrastructure as well as the strategic planning for new building projects.
As you know, the Burwood Library is set to become 24/7 this month. But that’s not the only change on the horizon. We’re beginning more upgrades including increased seating, new facilities and improved study areas.
Starting this month, the Library upgrade will add an additional 240 seats in a range of informal learning spaces including single desks, booth seating, quiet spaces and group study tables. It will also add new accessible amenities, including the first ‘Changing Places’ facility on campus.
The upgrade will be complete by Trimester 1 2019.
- New modern furniture in a range of configurations.
- New accessible amenities including male, female, gender neutral and unisex accessible toilets.
- A ‘Changing Places’ facility providing a publicly accessible, full-sized change table and hoist to meet the needs of people with severe and profound disabilities.
- An upgraded service and foyer area on Level 2 (main entry) including streamlined service pods.
- A student after-hours tea point (including microwave ovens, bench space and a Hydrotap with chilled and boiling water) on Level 2 in the café area.
- Energy-efficient LED lighting upgrade.
- New perforated screening to replace sunshades on the external façade (north-west corner).
- Access control to enable select floors to be open 24/7.
How will we do it?
Areas of the library on all levels will be reconfigured by converting a few study spaces and relocating shelves. A new section in the north-west corner of the library will be constructed over two levels to provide the additional amenities, with wider internal access points.
When will it be ready?
The furniture and lighting upgrades will commence in August 2018, and construction of the new amenities in October 2018 (after exams). The full upgrade will be complete and operational by Trimester 1 2019. Starting mid-August, selected floors will be available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Can I still use the library now?
Yes! The library will remain fully operational during the works, however there may be changes to the availability of study spaces between August and October 2018, while the internal layout and furniture is upgraded. We know the library is the perfect place for quiet study, so we’ll minimise the noise disruptions as much as possible while construction of the new amenities are underway in the north-west corner.