Find out what living on res is really like

By Deakin Residential Services

Living on campus is a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in the Deakin experience. Applications are now open, so get in quick!

View more

Earlier this year we introduced you to nursing student Georgia Parker and promised to report back on her journey living on res. 

Now that Trimester 1 is coming to an end, we have checked in with her to find out about what it’s like to live on res, how she got involved in all the activities over the past few months and what tips she has for fellow students. 

Georgia, how have you settled into living on res since we last caught up with you?

Georgia: I have settled into living on res now, but I would be lying if I said it has been completely smooth sailing. Moving away from my family for the first time, starting to study again and learning how to be independent is a very hard thing to do. I’ve had to move away from everything I know, navigate making new friends, find my way around campus and look after myself. It has been made easier because I’ve moved into a building where I was able to make friends and have a support network from the start. I love living here and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

What activities have you been involved in on res?

Georgia:  I’m in a social mixed netball team run by YMCA, I play netball in a twilight competition at Deakin, and I recently competed for Parkes College in the inter-college girls footy and netball clash (we won!). There’s always something to do on res and it has been a really good way to meet people and get involved.

How have you found your study experience at Deakin thus far?

Georgia: I really enjoy my course and I love both the Geelong Waterfront and Waurn Ponds Campus facilities. I also have been really happy with my lecturers and tutors.

How do you feel living on res benefits your studies?

Georgia: I get to live with people who are in the same boat as me and in an environment that allows me to study whenever I need to. I have access to study rooms in my building 24/7 and I can walk five minutes to the library when I need. Also, I’ve made friends with people who are doing the same course/units as me, so I can approach them when I’m stuck.

How are you going to prepare for exams as a res student?

Georgia: I plan on heading to the library most days to go over the learning outcomes from my subjects with a group of friends from my building. I also will do some practice exams. 

Do you have any tips or insights for other students living on res, now that you have experienced it for a while?

Georgia: Talk to people if you’re having a hard time or just feel like you need a chat, because a lot of people are in the same position as you and can probably relate to how you’re feeling, or know a way to make you feel better. Also don’t try and do everything, because you need to focus on yourself. 

What’s been your favourite thing about living on res so far?

Georgia: The people I’ve met. I have only been on res for four months now and I’ve already made some amazing friends. Everyone’s just so inviting and everyone is there to help – it’s like a family. Also it’s a great place to live, because there’s always something happening in our building. People are having dinners together or movie night and on res in general there is so much to do, especially with all the events organised for us.

For more information about living on res, visit our accommodation web page.

Tag list: Tags:

Join the conversation

%d bloggers like this: