In their words – Meet Maddie Garrick and Alice Kunek

October 29, 2015

By Melanie Orvis

As the Deakin Melbourne Boomers kicked off their WNBL 2015/2016 season with a great win, we take a closer look at players Alice Kunek and Maddie Garrick, and the connection they have to Deakin as students.

Maddie Garrick

Maddie at 11 years

Alice Kunek

Alice Kunek

Alice Kunek has been playing basketball since she was just six years old and has excelled ever since. As a junior, she played for the Eltham Wildcats and eventually joined the Bulleen Boomers to win a WNBL title in 2011. Kunek believes if she wasn’t playing basketball, then she would be playing netball: ‘I grew up playing a lot of sports and have always liked ball sports. I love playing a team sport, going into battle with some of your best friends is awesome!’

Recognised as one of the highest point scorers in the WNBL, averaging 16 points per game, Kunek proves to be an important member in the Deakin Boomers Team. Throughout her career, she has represented Australia playing for the Opals national team and hopes to make the team for the 2016 Rio games.

Whilst playing basketball, Kunek has managed to complete her commerce degree at Deakin University, and one day hopes to undertake Masters of Business.

Maddie Garrick, a teammate of Kunek, is also a Deakin student on the Boomers team. Growing up in Shepparton, Garrick played for the Bendigo Spirit and Dandenong rangers prior to joining the Deakin Boomers. Signing this year, Garrick will be part of a new line up on the Deakin Boomers side.

In between training, touring, and playing, Garrick has been progressing through an exercise sports science degree here at Deakin University. She was one of ten athletes from Deakin University to represent the Uniroos at the 2015 World Uni Games in Gwangju, South Korea. Garrick was also selected for the Opals European Tour in May this year. She aims to be in the Rio games and continue playing for the national team.

Known as an exceptionally hard worker, Garrick says: ‘Do something today that your future self will thank you for. In other words, work hard now and reap the rewards later.’

Kunek and Garrick are hoping to help the Deakin Melbourne Boomers get a premiership title for the 2015/2016 WNBL season.

Now in its 34th year, the WNBL is the longest running elite women’s sports competition in Australia.

Get involved with the Deakin Melbourne Boomers and support our Deakin students on the team. To receive half-price tickets. Simply pre-purchase tickets for all home games from the DUSA Bookshop on campus or show your Deakin Card at the State Basketball Centre.

What are your pre-game superstitions?

Alice: I don’t have any pre game superstitions, although I do always like to have a shower before the game!

Maddie: I try to keep pre-game rituals simple and try to get a good quality pre-game meal and nap. I do have a small routine I like to go through during the warm-up to help me get into the game.

What advice would you give your younger self?

Alice: Believe in yourself and just go for it. Don’t take it all too seriously!

Maddie: Do something today that your future self will thank you for. In other words, work hard now and reap the rewards later.

If you could play any other sport, what would it be and why?

Alice: Probably netball. I grew up playing a lot of sports and have always liked ball sports. I love playing a team sport – going into battle with some of your best friends is awesome!

Maddie: I grew up playing netball until I started playing basketball when I was 11, so I probably would be playing that.

For further information, visit the Melbourne Boomers.

Discounted games tickets for Deakin students and staff

As a member of the Deakin community, you are entitled to half-price tickets at all home games. Simply show your Deakin Card at the State basketball centre, or pre-purchase your tickets from the DUSA Bookshop on campus.

More news from this edition

Post navigation

%d bloggers like this: