Cristy Burne is the author of over a dozen children’s books. Her writing explores the intersection of story, science, technology and creativity. In 2023 she was the recipient of the Deakin University Copyright Agency Children’s Writer-in-Residence.

How a Deakin Writer-in-Residence program helped Cristy Burne tell her family’s story

The Deakin University Copyright Agency Children’s Writer-in-Residence program was a transformative journey for author Cristy Burne, allowing her the dedicated time and resources to pursue her passion for storytelling.

“Right from the very first day the residency was announced, I felt a new level of support and excitement for my career, from Deakin University, from myself, and also from the wider writing community,” said Cristy.

The residency provided Cristy with an invaluable opportunity to explore and develop her craft. Most importantly, it offered her the time and space needed to tackle a deeply personal writing project: capturing her family’s journey with Motor Neurone Disease.

“From my brother-in-law’s shock diagnosis to the added blow of possible genetic inheritance – this story is one I had no idea how to write. I could only begin to fathom this project thanks to the gift of dedicated time, space and financial freedom.”

Starting with two weeks working from Deakin’s Warrnambool campus, the residency allowed for periods of focus and creative freedom away from the demands of everyday life.

“During the first two weeks I was able to complete a first draft of my verse novel project, which far exceeded my expectations of what I might be able to achieve. The chance to be entirely alone on the Warrnambool campus, the safety to go as deep as I needed, and the knowledge that the Deakin team had my back, both in-person and on-line, was extraordinary. I was able to dive further and create more than I thought would be possible.”

The career and personal benefits of the residency were many. Beyond the creative process it opened up invaluable opportunities for networking and community engagement.

“The second period was spent working with emerging writers, schools, Deakin students, and the general public,” said Cristy. Through the program Cristy was able to access professional development opportunities including running workshops, shows, an in-conversation with Australian Children’s Laureate Gabrielle Wang and interactive Q&A sessions both in-person and on-line. Cristy emerged from the residency with renewed creative energy.

“The three-month residency is now over and I cannot believe how lucky I am to have a manuscript I’m proud of and that speaks so authentically to our family’s experience. Thanks to the support and encouragement I have received, I now have the courage to dive into another round of edits, and to pursue the possibility of finding a home for this novel with a trade publisher. Hopefully, it will bring hope and courage to other families and children in similar circumstances.”

Poster with text Copyright Agency and Deakin University - 2023 Children's writer in Residence and photo of Cristy Burne