From crime analysts to parole officers, intelligence officers to policy advisers, criminology graduates are everywhere. But while the roles vary, one thing’s the same: the impact criminology graduates can have on society and the way it addresses and perceives crime is a powerful one.

We spoke to Trent Jansz, a Bachelor of Criminology graduate, about his own career as a post-release case manager, where he helps former prisoners reintegrate into society.

Why did you choose to study criminology?

I chose criminology due to my interest in social justice and criminality, which have been interests of mine since I was younger and just exiting high school. This course stood out as an option that would set me up for a career moving forward.

What’s one thing you learnt as a criminology student that you didn’t expect – and how has it changed your professional outlook?

I remember exploring the ideas of protected communities and rights, which led me to conducting a lot of research at the time and helped shape my current political outlook. I think being shown that the world is simultaneously huge and small is something I have tried to remember: small changes can lead to big impacts.

How would you describe how your studies have changed you, overall?

When I started at Deakin I was a kid who had lofty ideals of changing the world but had no idea or where or how to start. I hoped to become a professional who is compassionate and knowledgeable, someone who people came to for advice or assistance.

Deakin helped ground these ideals without making me feel silly for having them in the first place. My current role has those ideals baked into the job as I case manage people released from prison and am now a part of a pilot program to address previously unmet need for men released from prison. I am unsure where my career will go from here but I am excited for the journey.

Being shown that the world is simultaneously huge and small is something I have tried to remember: small changes can lead to big impacts.

Speaking of your career, can you tell us a little about how you secured your current role?

I acquired my current role through sending an essay I had written for a unit at Deakin in regard to over-incarceration. This was connected to my resume and cover letter, and I believe was instrumental in helping me get the role.

Many of the theoretical and research skills that I acquired through my degree are used every day. My ability to write reports and file notes as well as documents that are taken to the court or police have all been improved from what I’ve learned at Deakin.

What have you found most surprising about working in criminal justice?

I have found myself surprised by the clients themselves and the amount that they had been failed by our systems in the past; their stories aren’t represented truthfully on TV. Learning their actual stories and talking to them has been so valuable and it surprised me that such gaps existed in our system.

Where are you hoping to take your career from here?

I hope to stay in the criminal justice system as there is a lot of work that needs to be done and a lot of hands needed to do it, managing a program similar to the one I am in at the moment.

michaela

Trent Jansz studied a Bachelor Criminology at Deakin University. Learn more about Deakin’s range of criminology degrees. Visit www.deakin.edu.au/criminology