Meet Abbey: Abbey would love to attain a job in the graphic design industry. She also hoped that by studying the Visual Communication Design course she would gain the confidence to present her work to clients, knowing she had taken full advantage of all of her design knowledge and skills and was proud of the work she would present. Studying in an inclusive and supportive environment was also a factor in choosing to study at Deakin. Abbey is part way through her studies and shares her student experience below.

I feel as if this course has given me a very clear direction of what I want to achieve and given me an insight as to how I can achieve it.

How is your course preparing you to be work ready when you graduate?

Abbey: This course has a very strong focus on preparing us to work in the industry when we graduate. In second year, and especially in our third year, we have been expected to submit our work to the industry standards to ensure we can understand professional practice in design. There has been a large focus on how to present our work to clients to fulfil their expectations, whether we are freelance designers, or working collaboratively. Our design thinking and ideation methods have been pushed and tested to ensure we can produce unique and engaging concepts that could solve future design problems.

Tell us about where you’ve experienced practical or applied learning.

Abbey: Recently we were given the opportunity to engage with the staff from Pedigree Paper, as we were completing their real life brief for the rebrand of their company. Being given this opportunity was so rewarding to gain the insight from them and interact with their actual values and beliefs as a brand. It inspired me to really invest a lot of time into perfecting my final concept as we had the privilege of meeting them personally and understanding what their brand is really about.

What has been the most rewarding aspect of your course at Deakin?

Abbey: The most rewarding aspect of my course at Deakin has been seeing how far I have come as a designer, and seeing how my skills have progressed over the years. In the beginning I had such a little range of skills and knowledge of application. Although now I feel comfortable incorporating the use of all apps on the Adobe suite and integrating them together in my work to create engaging work that communicates to the right audience.

What made you interested in your particular course?

Abbey: I chose to study the Visual Communication Design course at Deakin as it was a new course the year I was beginning my study. As I thoroughly enjoyed this subject at high school, it was comforting knowing I would be able to relate to the skills being taught as I had some background knowledge of the subject. I also really liked how the course opens up so many job opportunities, as it focuses on a broad set of design skills for those who don’t know exactly what career path to take in this industry.

What’s one thing you’ve explored in your course that you didn’t expect?

Abbey: In this course we have explored variations of publication design, which I never expected I would enjoy. It has really expanded my outlook on what I am capable of as a designer, and the many job possibilities that can come from this course.

Our design thinking and ideation methods have been pushed and tested to ensure we can produce unique and engaging concepts that could solve future design problems.

How would you describe the learning environment and culture at Deakin?

Abbey: The culture at Deakin is so energetic and inclusive. All the many events put on by Deakin are always seeking student involvement. The learning environment in my course has also been inclusive, as well as engaging and insightful, due to the small cohort of students, it is quite a personalised experience where we always feel accounted for.

Tell us about your experience of Deakin’s teaching staff.

Abbey: My experience with the Deakin teaching staff has been really positive and supportive. Many of the staff intend on knowing us by name and identifying our key strengths as designers. They continue to present advice and their own insight on how we could improve our work in order to assist and inspire us to keep pushing our ideas as far as possible, to ensure we can reach our fullest potential as designers.

When you first started studying at university, who did you hope Deakin would help you become?

Abbey: I hoped Deakin would make me a more confident and inspired individual, with clear direction in life. I feel as if I have really gained that confidence and independence from attending University as it has challenged me, and pushed me out of my comfort zone on numerous occasions. I feel as if this course has given me a very clear direction of what I want to achieve and given me an insight as to how I can achieve it.

If relevant to your experience, what would you say to someone about studying online?

Abbey: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic I experienced studying online for the entirety of 2020 and through the integrated learning system in 2021, and I believe the most effective way to complete it, is to set aside time and prioritise participating in the live online classes. This feels like you are attending a class, and you are given the opportunity to interact with your teacher and peers, and gather immediate feedback from them if you’re needing assistance or a question answered while it’s on your mind.

What would you say to someone considering study at Deakin University?

Abbey: I would definitely recommend Deakin due to its positive learning environment and great culture. University can feel like a large and foreign place at first where you could feel lost, although Deakin immediately makes new students feel welcomed and included at the very beginning during O week.

I now feel comfortable incorporating the use of all apps on the Adobe suite and integrating them together in my work to create engaging work that communicates to the right audience.

Abbey

Abbey Blake is studying Deakin University’s Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication) course.

Current courses on offer:
Bachelor of Design course or the Bachelor of Arts course offers major and minor studies in Visual Communication Design.

Abbey is on Instagram @designby.ab