Meet Melinda: Melinda has always had passion for creativity and is currently studying Deakin’s Visual Communication Design course. She has loved the friendships she’s made at Deakin and shares some of her student story below.

What made you interested in your particular course?

Melinda: I have always had a passion for creativity and communicating ideas or issues through my work. I also find it really interesting to understand the psychology of design and how certain colour, type, imagery or other elements can be used to subconsciously convey a particular emotion or influence a call to action.

Why did you choose to study at Deakin?

Melinda: I chose to study at Deakin because I love the modern facilities available. I thought the workspaces looked conversational, conventional and clean to work in.

What were you hoping to achieve in applying to study this course?

Melinda: By applying in this course I am hoping to graduate with a certificate and three years of valuable experience to help me gain a job in the real world and continue to pursue the creative work I love.

How is your course preparing you to be work ready when you graduate?

Melinda: From learning basic skills on Adobe programs, pitch presentations, group work, extensive folios and all the valuable knowledge, materials and resources in between this course has continued to help equip me and find the confidence to be a Graphic Designer outside of university. On top of that I have met so many like-minded, inspiring people and made friendships that will last a lifetime.

Staff want us to succeed and are truly supportive of us becoming amazing designers.

Tell us about your experience of Deakin’s teaching/academic staff.

Melinda: I think that coming to university is about becoming independent, gaining confidence and preparing for a career beyond your degree. At Deakin I think that is exactly how the staff treat it too. They want us to succeed and are truly supportive of us becoming amazing designers. I find that their feedback is usually always insightful, in-depth and valuable and this all helps me to improve.

What’s one thing you’ve learnt or explored in your course that you didn’t expect?

Melinda: Learning design has taught me to have an open mind about everything and always explore multiple different pathways- this is always something I can apply in the real world too but especially in my future career. It has also emphasised to me how critical Graphic design is at influencing people, every day, all around the world from what we buy, to where we shop, to what we do and what opinions or beliefs we have. It is a powerful method of communication that subconsciously guides us all the time.

What would you say to someone considering study at Deakin?

Melinda: If you’re into the visual arts highly recommend! I have plenty of friends at Deakin also who love the facilities and have a positive experience too.

Melinda

Melinda is studying Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication).