After a decade or more in senior management, Emily Reeves chose to return to postgraduate study with a Master of Communication at Deakin. Her goal was simple: to develop the skills, confidence and internationally-based knowledge needed to chart a path for her not-for-profit organisation.

I believe in the potential of individuals to change this world for the better.

Tell us about your course/research.

Emily: I chose to focus my research on understanding the experiences of Indian women who are leading change in their communities and country. I firmly believe in the potential of individuals and small groups of people to change this world for the better. I am also aware that for many people, women in particular, there are structural and societal barriers that stand in their way. Having recently established an international not-for-profit organisation with a mission to equip and connect current and future change-makers, I wanted to understand the barriers that women change-makers in India face, and how they overcome these barriers. This research formed an important part of the foundation stone on which our organisational approach will be determined. In doing so, my research demonstrated applied learning at its very best.

Why did you choose to study this course/area at Deakin?

Emily: Deakin has an excellent reputation and ranks well amongst other universities. But a critical factor in my decision-making was the level of confidence I felt that I would have the scope within the master’s program to tailor my learning to my specific interest of international social change. Fortunately, I am also located quite close to a Deakin campus, but being a cloud student, this was less critical to my choice than it was an added advantage!

Tell us about your experience of Deakin’s teaching/academic staff.

Emily: At key points throughout the Master’s program I experienced the amazing support of the course director. On several occasions she took considerable time to talk with me about what I wanted to achieve from my study and how it could be tailored to best suit my professional goals. I am grateful to her for supporting me to make the very most of my learning experience with Deakin and I am so pleased that this has had both immediate and long-term benefits for my future.

What’s one thing you’ve learnt or explored in your course that you didn’t expect?

Emily: The course has really helped to see myself as a communications professional with something of value to communicate on the issues I am involved in. Whether this be through conducting research, writing a paper, developing a marketing communications plan, or publishing a journal article, this course has helped me to build confidence in my own voice and the contribution I can make.

Have you completed any global learning activities?

Emily: My entire field of work is creating international change on social issues and I have been pleased with the extent to which I have been able to tailor my course to contextualise it in an international environment. This was one of the most important factors to me when selecting which university to study with, and I’m pleased with the result. On completing my professional research project, I had the good fortune to be invited to share the findings of my research with staff and students from Amity University in Delhi India. This opportunity came to be through the course director who put my name forward – again something I am very grateful for.

When you first started studying at university, who did you hope Deakin would help you become?

Emily: I was motivated to study because, after a decade or so in a senior management position, I was eager to experience new challenges and to adopt a learning mindset. I continued to work in international campaigning and communication roles throughout my study, but I experienced a shift towards greater openness to exploration and learning as a result of my studies.

I experienced a good degree of flexibility within the course. This enabled me to tailor my study to achieve maximum benefit and application both to the work I was doing at the time, and to my future plans. This was increasingly true as time went on and as I became clearer on the pathway I intended to pursue beyond study.

A pertinent example of this was being able to focus my professional research project on exploring the barriers that women in India experience as they seek to lead change in the country. Not only was this an area of great interest to me, the project also enabled me to take a valuable step towards establishing my own international not-for-profit organisation focused on supporting women to lead social change.

In doing so, I achieved the unit learning outcomes, I was highly motivated to complete the project to the best of my ability, and I experienced the real-world benefit of progressing towards my career goal of establishing my own social change organisation.

What has been the most rewarding aspect of your course/research at Deakin?

Emily: The most rewarding aspects are two-fold. Firstly, the potential to tailor and focus my learning to make it highly relevant and beneficial to my future plans. Secondly, development of a confidence in, and love of, learning

What’s one key thing you’ll take away from Deakin?

Emily: I take away a sense of achievement in my result, confidence in my ability, and a love of learning.

Emily

Emily Reeves studied Deakin’s Master of Communication course.