April Loxton once considered becoming a psychologist, back when she was studying her Bachelor of Criminology/Psychological Science at Deakin in 2015. But a love for the knowledge in criminology and its complex subjects has seen her go on to pursue an honours year, and now, a PhD. She speaks about the support and opportunities she’s received at Deakin, and about the important research she’s conducting.

There is so much to explore. A PhD allows me to continue my journey.

Tell us about your course/research.

April: Currently, I am undertaking a doctorate in philosophy, majoring in Criminology. My research addresses male victims of sexual violence and their help-seeking behaviour in Australia. This research focuses on the availability of formal support services and their perceptions on available support for male victims of sexual violence. I found my interest in gendered violence and sexuality grew throughout my undergraduate degree and emerged when I was undertaking my honours. I had always had an interest in family and domestic violence research, and with the help of some wonderful Deakin staff, I was able to express my interests in a way that offered new and original data to the field. After completing honours, a PhD felt like the next logical step for me. I wanted to keep pushing myself, to learn and develop new skills in research and academia. I still feel like there is so much more to achieve and explore, and a PhD allows me to continue that journey. In completing this PhD, I hope to achieve a new sense of understanding in research, but to also further my career at Deakin and in academia. But the idea of being a Dr also sounds pretty cool.

Why did you choose to study this course/area at Deakin?

April: When I finished my honours, I spent a long time tossing up between a masters and a PhD. It made sense to me to knuckle down and put in the extra time for the bigger pay off. I was initially hesitant to undertake such a big leap from honours to a PhD – however, thanks to the support of the wonderful Criminology staff and students, I am now almost a year into my PhD and going strong! Not only do I get the opportunity to research a topic of my interest, but towards the end I am considered somewhat of an expert in my field.

Tell us about your experience of Deakin’s teaching/academic staff.

April: The Criminology staff at Deakin have been a fantastic support throughout the entirety of my time at Deakin. Their approach to teaching has always been welcoming and inclusive, while also being a source of support and understanding. The Criminology staff understand that each student is still learning, and much of the content is new to them, so they always make each hurdle accessible and approachable, no matter the direction you come from. It is thanks to the Criminology staff that I have felt confident enough to continue my journey through my honours and now into my PhD. They have pushed me to be my best self, exploring further and asking the right questions.

Can you tell us about where you’ve experienced practical or applied learning?

April: My practical experience in research and academia really started in honours, where I was given the opportunity to explore a topic of my choosing, while also working as a research assistant for Deakin. Through my honours I learnt how to conduct my own research, structure a project and publish a journal article. Since starting my PhD, my opportunities for practical experience have grown significantly. Most prominently, I have taken on a teaching and marking role that has given me the chance to help others begin their journey in Criminology at Deakin. The opportunity to teach those and support them through their own learning is also thanks to the Criminology staff. With their support, I felt the confidence to not only take the leap, but to branch out and begin to carve my own path.

What’s one thing you’ve learnt or explored in your course that you didn’t expect?

April: I think one important thing that I have learnt in my course, is to write simply and clearly. You do not need to flourish your writing with fancy words and complex terminology to come across as intelligent and knowledgeable. In many cases, using big words or convoluted phrases can decrease accessibility to knowledge, making it unnecessarily difficult for others to learn. The best writers and researchers are those who can convey a concept in the simplest terms. I used to think when reading a particularly complex article that I was not ‘smart enough’ to understand the issue or the theory, however, I have learnt that it’s the responsibility of the writer. Learning this has made a significant impact on my outlook to research, pushing me to write in ways that is accessible to anyone who picks up my work.

Have you undertaken any Work Integrated Learning (WIL) activities such as internships as part of your course?

April: Towards the end of my undergraduate degree, I was lucky enough to take on an internship in the School of Health and Social Development. I learnt how to network and work in a professional setting, as well as develop skills in research, writing and key software that I now use in my own PhD. That internship eventually led to a paid position at Deakin as a research assistant in the same school, and the Disability and Inclusion team. Working with these teams taught me so much about research and helped me realise that my goals were to develop a career in academia.

How would you describe the learning environment and culture at Deakin?

April: The study environment at Deakin is where I work best. There are so many places to study quietly while also providing spaces for students to catch-up and chat. After returning to campus, the learning environment at Deakin has been fantastic, I feel I have the space to sit down and focus, but also re-connect with my HDR colleagues in person!

When you first started studying at university, who did you hope Deakin would help you become?

April: When I first started Deakin in 2015, I had no strong goals in mind of what I hoped to become. I had an interest in Psychology and Criminology sounded like an interesting field. At one point I even considered becoming a psychologist, but as I progressed through the undergraduate course, I became more interested in the theory and practice of criminology. Comparing myself now to when I first started, I feel I have a stronger understanding of what I want. I know that I have a passion for research and writing, and I have a strong network within Criminology that I can trust and rely on. From here, I only hope to keep doing what I am doing. I hope to finish my PhD and continue to work for Deakin, to continue researching new and interesting topics and to collaborate with as many fantastic people as possible.

It was exciting to see all the hard work, research and analysis that I conducted become a physical article that other people could read and cite.

What has been the most rewarding aspect of your course/research at Deakin?

April: So far, the most rewarding aspect of studying at Deakin, was having my first ever article approved for publication. Written in collaboration with my honours supervisor, this was my first taste of publishing something publicly, with my name on it. It was exciting to see all the hard work, research and analysis that I conducted become a physical article that other people could read and cite.

What’s one key thing you’ll take away from Deakin?

April: We come to a university to learn and grow. I put so much pressure on myself and felt that I needed to be perfect at everything, first try. As I have progressed, I have learnt that University is there to teach and support you, every step of the way. Be kind to yourself and know that by just attempting something, you are improving.

What would you say to someone considering study/research at Deakin?

April: Deakin, and the Criminology team particularly, is a wonderful hub of support and knowledge. Though this is adult, independent learning, you will be guided every step of the way. The Deakin staff want to see you succeed and reach your full potential. Higher education can seem scary, but you will be surprised at what you can achieve with the right support.

April

April Loxton is a Doctor of Philosophy (Criminology) student at Deakin.