Today we speak with Laili. Laili knew she wanted to speak an additional language to help improve her job prospects and also out of personal interest. Since Spanish is among the most-widely spoken languages worldwide and is an official language of the United Nations, this complemented her other major area of study in International Relations. Laili studied the Bachelor of Arts course and is now studying the Bachelor of Arts Honours degree.
I chose to study at Deakin because of its flexibility and variety of courses, as well as its modern approach to learning and preparation for the workplace.

What has been the most rewarding aspect of your course/research?

Laili: There have been so many rewarding aspects about studying at Deakin but I will narrow it down to the relationships you make throughout your degree and the wealth of knowledge that you accumulate in your area of study. It is true that the more you learn, the more you realise there is to learn, but it is really rewarding to see how your knowledge and perspective grows throughout your degree. Investing in yourself by attaining a degree or other qualification at university is such a rewarding personal achievement. Additionally, the friendships you form with other students and teachers along the way make the experience all the more meaningful and fulfilling. It is not everyday that you get the opportunity to discuss and collaborate with other individuals who share your interests and dreams.

Have you undertaken any professional experience or internships as part of your degree?

Laili: In my second year of study, I did an internship with a not-for-profit organisation called the Organization for World Peace (OWP). I was a remote Junior Correspondent, which meant that under the guidance of OWP’s editors and co-ordinator, I published weekly articles on current events that impacted human rights and world peace. It was challenging to have weekly deadlines in conjunction with my university studies but I found that after the first few weeks it seemed to get easier. My writing and research skills improved quite a bit in a short space of time, which helped me with university assessments. It also helped contribute to my knowledge base on international affairs which was particularly useful to me.

In my experience as an arts and language student, the learning environment was very comfortable and supportive. There are a lot of opportunities on offer too, such as networking sessions, overseas study, professional memberships and work experience. In addition, their facilities are state-of-the-art.

Have you completed any study tours or study abroad (exchange)?

Laili: During my degree, I did a short-term partner program at La Universidad de Granada, Spain. This was a great experience that gave me my first real encounter with Spanish culture and lifestyle. The combination of Spanish lessons (completely in Spanish) and cultural day trips improved my language skills so much. It strengthened my interest in learning Spanish and motivated me to keep getting better.

How would you describe the learning environment and culture at Deakin?

Laili: I always felt supported studying at Deakin. In my experience, professors and tutors always make themselves available to you for further help or assistance you may need. In terms of culture, I feel that Deakin tries to include students as much as possible in making the university a place for everyone. There are always events on and clubs to join. Through Deakin, I became a member of Deakin Women in Politics, the Australian Institute of International Affairs and the Golden Key International Honour Society.

Tell us about your experience of studying in the Cloud.

Laili: Throughout my degree, I did five units online (through the Cloud). I found that it worked better for some units than it did for others. For example, it was challenging to do a language class online because communication and interaction is so important in that kind of setting. Apart from the Collaborate sessions (which are live), you can’t get that immediate feedback. However, for other units that are more individually-oriented, watching the recordings and doing the readings online worked just fine.

Can you tell us about your experience of Deakin’s teaching/academic staff?

Laili: All of the professors and tutors I had during my degree were very dedicated and their passion for their area of study/expertise was evident. Their experience ranged from years of work in related sectors, to accomplished academics who frequently published work in journals and in print. In the case of Spanish, all of my professors and tutors were native Spanish speakers from Spain or Latin America who were able to bring an additional level of immersion to Spanish classes through their personal experience.

How is your course/research preparing you to be work ready?

Laili: Being able to speak more than one language is a highly useful skill; not just for obtaining jobs but also to help understand the world around us better. For the most part, employers want employees to be knowledgeable, adaptable, active members of society who are capable of thinking critically. Learning another language gives you the ability to see the world from different perspectives and therefore bring unique and creative approaches to the workplace. Globalisation of the marketplace has meant that our relationship with other nations has become inter-dependent, so it makes sense to educate ourselves about external societies, languages and cultures.

I would like to be working in the field of International Relations, whether that be through the aid sector and NGOs, a private company, or with the Australian government.

Laili

Laili Hall studied a Bachelor of Arts, and is studying Bachelor of Arts (Honours).
Her study areas of interest are Spanish and International Relations.

Tips to share with other students?

Laili:

Studying in the Cloud – One benefit of doing a unit on the Cloud is that you have a lot more freedom to work when it suits you. For this reason, doing a unit online might be a better option for some people. You can still access the same content and there is still a discussion board you can use to communicate with classmates. Studying online might take a bit of self-discipline to make sure you are keeping up with the content but you just need to establish what study habits work for you. Making sure you have a study space and creating a work schedule can help.

Support programs – I attended a couple of DeakinTalent’s workshops to help prepare for finding work after graduation and for specific advice on acing interviews and the recruitment process. I found the advice quite helpful in my final year and it provided me with a variety of potential organisations and graduate programs to look into. Deakin Talent also has a job board that allows you to search for relevant roles that are currently available, which is another great source to have access to when looking for work or internship positions as a student.