Meet Helen Helen has been studying Deakin’s Graduate Certificate of Education Research over four trimesters, online.

What made you interested in choosing your study area?

Helen: My interest in developing knowledge of current research in initial teacher education and building capacity to work as a productive member of a practice-based research team meant the GCERT was a great fit for my areas of interest.

Why did you choose to study at Deakin?

Helen: I chose to study at Deakin because of the flexibility of the online learning and opportunity to build capacity and understanding of research methodology and skills. Deakin’s reputation in research made this appealing.

How is your course/research preparing you for the future?

Helen: I have developed my knowledge of research approaches which inform school improvement and contemporary educational initiatives. This has enabled me to develop my research skills and understandings of contemporary methodologies, opening doors for possibilities in study in HDR.

Tell us about your experience of Deakin’s teaching/academic staff.

Helen: Deakin’s academic staff were highly supportive and the regular feedback provided on Educational Policy, Leadership and Internalisation was invaluable in stimulating thinking and learning, and to develop new insights into my selected area of focus.

What has been the most rewarding aspect of your course/research at Deakin?

Helen: The course was rigorous and challenged me to constantly refine my critical and reflective thinking skills, utilise time management and organisational skills and develop a range of study, research and writing skills. This was supported by experienced Deakin academics who questioned and guided my learning. The sense of achievement in completing the course and also knowing that I can continue to build my skills in this area now through HDR have all been rewarding aspects of study. A great journey which I recommend to others seeking challenge and personal enhancement.

How would you describe the learning environment and culture at Deakin?

Helen: Deakin University presents a vibrant culture of teaching and research. The collaborative interaction with peers and regular feedback from academics was invaluable in stimulating thinking and learning, supporting the development of my research capabilities and to build new insights into my selected area of study.

What would you say to someone considering study/research at Deakin University?

Helen: I would highly recommend Deakin to anyone seeking a flexible, online approach and as an excellent opportunity to build research skills prior to commencing a higher research degree.

Helen

Helen studied the Graduate Certificate of Education Research at Deakin University.

A great journey which I recommend to others seeking challenge and personal enhancement.