For Molly Darlymple, choosing a university came down to the amount of opportunities on offer, ‘I have always wanted to work in international politics and law. When considering different universities, the Middle East major really stood out to me as a unique opportunity. I felt that my interests were matched well with the variety of electives and majors offered by Deakin compared to other universities. I want to work in international law and humanitarian aid, so making sure my university unit choices stood out was really important for me.’

‘The learning environment at Deakin is more focused upon extending student’s opportunities outside of the classroom than most other universities. Deakin has a large number of programs dedicated to ensuring students have all the support and opportunities they need to thrive and make the most of their degrees. I love that Deakin provides so many opportunities for students to make the most of their degrees as there is lots of help available for internships, networking, studying abroad and career advice,’ Molly says.

When Molly first applied to Deakin she had no idea that she would end up travelling into the Middle East.

I would never have predicted going travelling in the Middle East as part of a study tour with Deakin. It was an incredible experience, where we visited a number of embassies, NGO’s and well renowned organisations. It was the absolute highlight of my degree to have such a fascinating and immersive time travelling in the Middle East as part of my studies.

Being able to apply classroom knowledge in interactive simulations is a highlight of Molly’s studies, ‘The politics units at Deakin are not just theory, but actually give you the chance to apply your skills in practical assessments. I have been involved in interactive assessments such as political online simulations and model United Nations which were incredible learning opportunities. As part of my Middle East studies major sequence, our main project was to be part of an interactive simulation mimicking real world politics. It was so valuable to have an experience that enabled us to develop and enhance our knowledge in a practical setting, which is a big advantage to have as part of my degree when applying for future jobs,’ Molly says.

Overall, Molly would recommend Deakin because their ‘degrees are focused upon ensuring a well-rounded experience, with a focus on practical assessments and opportunities which enhance your degree such as international study or internships.’

Molly Dalrymple
Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws Alumnus

Molly Dalrymple

Find out more about studying an arts degree at Deakin University.