Meet Molly: Molly graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (Photography and Mandarin Chinese) / Bachelor of Science (Biochemistry) from Deakin. What started as a side hustle of creating visuals for research, she now owns her own creative agency. She shares her unique study and career path below.

I put together direct teams of creatives to fulfil design briefs that could be anything from medical illustrations, to branding new start-ups, all kinds of animation – and of course photography!

What was the most beneficial aspect of your course at Deakin?

Molly: My choice of courses was highly unique and as it turned out [at the time] Deakin was the only university offering the flexibility I needed to follow my interests. They welcomed me with open arms and allowed me to design what became a very bespoke study pathway. Without their generosity, I would not have been able to study photography and biochemistry and certainly wouldn’t be where I am today.

Did you undertake any professional experience or internships as part of your degree?

Molly: Yes, I did a couple of summer internships with the Institute for Frontier Materials – a research institute within Deakin. It gave me a good taste for academic life. I tagged along to conferences, met a lot of great people, and got see a lot more of the hardships that researchers face like tight timelines, funding shortages, and pressure to fulfil publication and outreach quotas. It’s a very different side to what you see in the lecture theatre or classroom and certainly got me thinking whether or not that was for me.

Tell us about your experience of Deakin’s teaching/academic staff.

Molly: I have nothing but praise and admiration for the Deakin staff – in both the science and arts faculties. They were always supportive of my “out of the box” ideas and offered valuable insights based on their professional experience. I never felt unable to ask a question (and I asked a LOT of questions). Their networks are extraordinarily diverse, and everyone was happy to connect me with people they felt would be good to know – many still continue to introduce me to colleagues and acquaintances with similar interests.

What has your professional journey been since completing your course?

Molly: Straight out of undergrad, with no idea what I wanted to do, I decided to go down the academic pathway. I spent a lot of time making scientific diagrams and polishing presentations for others. I quickly found that research wasn’t for me, but I still continued to create visuals for research and decided to try turning it into a side-hustle whilst I figured out what I wanted to do. Six months later I founded ‘Patton’d Studios’ and three years after that here we are. I’m still doing it and loving it (although I do a bit more than powerpoints now).

Deakin allowed me to design what became a very bespoke study pathway, so that I could study my interests in photography and biochemistry.

Describe your current professional role and career goals.

Molly: Jumping straight into a founder/leadership role with zero professional experience meant I’ve had to spend the past few years learning on the fly. Now, Patton’d Studios has expanded from just me, to a full-spectrum creative agency. I put together direct teams of creatives (far more talented than myself) to fulfil design briefs that could be anything from medical illustrations, to branding new start-ups, all kinds of animation – and of course photography! It’s a lot of fun and every day is a surprise, but there is definitely lots more learning to do. I’ve discovered I have more of a knack for the problem-solving aspect of design than the actual creating part. I think the next goal is to redirect the purpose of the studio from just creating great visual media, to using what we create to contribute to real-world solutions that make a difference. I think that would be pretty special!

What has been the highlight of your career so far?

Molly: The world beyond study is so different. There are no grades, no milestones, or accolades. It’s hard to know if you’re doing it right or what is celebration-worthy. I guess the biggest highlight for me is an ongoing one; the fact that four years on, I’m still here, still doing what many people said was either ridiculous, couldn’t be done or that it wouldn’t last. That’s an ongoing highlight for me and it’s a great motivator to keep trying and keep striving to find new ways that design can contribute to science and innovation.

What has been the biggest influence on your career?

Molly: Definitely the people around me. Starting a business is not an easy gig and there have been people over the years commenting on the absurdity of combining art and science into a business model. My friends, family, and mentors have been with me every step of the way, encouraging me, listening to my ideas, my fears, and voicing occasional hard truth when I’ve needed to hear it. They’ve kept my dream on track and for that, I’m forever grateful.

What advice would you give graduates wanting to pursue a similar profession?

Molly: Understand the difference between things you enjoy learning and the things you enjoy doing. I’ve loved learning about every aspect of my job and have often got multiple online courses on the go to make sure I know a little bit about the role of everyone I work with. But you won’t catch me animating or creating brand identities on a daily basis. I just don’t enjoy the creation as much as the problem-solving side of things and that realisation has really helped me narrow down what my role will be at Patton’d Studios moving forward.

Molly

Molly studied Deakin University’s Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science.
majoring in Photography, Mandarin Chinese and Biochemistry
Visit Arts at Deakin to view the range of course combinations with the Bachelor of Arts.