Jack was commissioned to create this portrait in his first year at Deakin, with local artist Glen Smith.

In 2015, Jack studied an Associate Degree of Arts and articulated into the Bachelor of Arts. Most recently Jack completed a Bachelor of Creative Arts (Honours) and graduated with a distinction average.

After completing VCE, Jack started a Deakin University journey by studying an Associate Degree of Arts. Jack says, ‘It helped immensely by providing me with the skills and resources to be able to study at University’. Jack found this pathway to be helpful and gained important skills to succeed at University level. ‘I learnt about academic referencing skills, academic writing skills as well as teamwork and digital literacy skills.’

Another benefit of studying the Associate Degree of Arts is that you are studying units that count towards a Bachelor of Arts degree. ‘It not only gives you a head start in the Bachelor of Arts units. It is also great for studying electives.’ Jack has thoroughly enjoyed studying electives in history and visual arts.
Jack also highlights that he felt well prepared after completing the associate degree and this inspired him to pursue other opportunities. ‘All this preparation made sure I was up to the task of completing a Bachelor level degree and gave me good footing for potential research opportunities.’

By studying at University, Jack has also built confidence and strong industry networks. ‘This degree also helped me to overcome my learning disability and not let it hold me back too much when it came to studying and socialising with my peers.’

While studying a Bachelor of Arts, Jack has been proactive with sourcing highly-sought after experiences. Some of Jack’s experiences include completing an internship experience with the Geelong and Region Branch of the National Trust of Australia (Victoria). ‘This helped me with establishing my passion for historic architecture and has given me a taste of what the politics surrounding heritage conservation is like’. Jack also worked closely with David Atkins Enterprises, the organisation that was in charge of Geelong’s premier White Night in 2018.

‘It’s a great way to start studying, especially if you don’t get the ATAR you desire but want to go straight to uni after school. For the mature age students, it’s a great way to get back into studying and especially if you aren’t up to speed with latest academic processes’.

Jack’s advice for future students is ‘It’s a great way to start studying, especially if you don’t get the ATAR you desire but want to go straight to uni after school. For the mature age students, it’s a great way to get back into studying and especially if you aren’t up to speed with latest academic processes’.

Learn more about your pathway options into the Bachelor of Arts.

Follow Jack on Instagram @jack_herd_artist