Meet Norma: Norma started her studies at Deakin with the Associate Degree of Arts and is now studying the Bachelor of Arts (Honours).

Why did you choose to study at Deakin?

Norma: I live in Warrnambool and Deakin has a great campus there. I also could do the course I wanted to by starting out on campus with the Associate Degree of Arts, then transferring to online to complete my studies.

What do you like most about your course?

Norma: I really appreciated the great grounding and instruction provided in the Associate Degree of Arts in writing academic essays, using the library and digital technology. Without these I would have really struggled had I launched straight into the Bachelor of Arts degree (BA). The BA offers great flexibility to construct a degree which allows pursuit of specific subject areas, but also provides opportunity to try subjects not previously considered. The interaction and support of staff has contributed to a really positive experience for me. I didn’t anticipate that level of care towards each student.

What aspects of your course are making you ready for the workforce?

Norma: The opportunity to undertake an Honours year has enabled a much greater depth and sustained period of study, which is a great introduction into working on projects and portfolios that certain positions demand. It also requires time management, planning and a cohesive working relationship with your Supervisor, being skills and experience also used in the workforce.

What facilities at Deakin have you appreciated?

Norma: Deakin’s excellent library, databases and access to journals and archives provide great experience in research techniques as well as a wealth of knowledge accessible from anywhere – and impervious to the restrictions of covid 19!

How would you describe Deakin’s teaching/academic staff?

Norma: Wonderful- really supportive, interested, approachable and knowledgeable

Describe the learning environment and culture at Deakin.

Norma: Open, relaxed, friendly, supportive and generally very responsive to student needs.

Tell us about any benefits of the online mode of study you experienced.

Norma: It allows mature aged students in regional or remote locations to undertake courses without having to uproot. It also allows great flexibility around work and family commitments.

Norma

Norma first studied the Associate Degree of Arts course, then the Bachelor of Arts, and is now studying BA Honours at Deakin University.

I really appreciated the great grounding and instruction provided in the Associate Degree of Arts. I would have struggled had I launched straight into the Bachelor of Arts degree.