Meet Justine: Justine graduated with a Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication) and works full-time as a visual artist. She studied several units online whilst travelling around Japan and Mexico.

I now work full time as a Visual Artist mostly painting murals which adorn streets and interiors across Melbourne and little nooks around the world. My next goal is to paint bigger and better walls. I’m talking 9 stories high.

justine

What was the most beneficial aspect of your course at Deakin?

Justine: Learning design theory/skill sets, and most definitely the study tour.

Did you undertake any internship as part of your degree?

Justine: I undertook an internship with an entrepreneurial style start up for my degree, where I undertook the roles of graphic designer and visual artist. In my experience I gained insight into what it’s like to work in a start up which inspired me greatly and gave me the confidence to dive in head first with my own.

Did you complete any study tours?

Justine: I participated in the animation and design study tour in Japan. To this day is still one of my favourite life experiences. On the tour I met and collaborated with some amazing creative students from different disciplines and saw some of the best of art and design Japan has to offer. It was life changing for me and inspired me to start my own professional journey as a full time creator for myself.

Tell us about your experience of Deakin’s teaching/academic staff.

Justine: I have had some amazing lecturers at Deakin who have helped in and outside of uni with industry advice.

These days I spend half my time in the studio designing murals and painting commissions, and the other half painting murals on the streets and the interiors for all sorts of businesses.

What has your professional journey been since completing your course?

Justine: My professional journey since just before completing my course has been as a Professional Artist. I now work full time as a Visual Artist mostly painting murals and other forms of street art such as TSB and utility boxes. I occasionally work in mentor positions with Council youth services and primary schools to mentor youths through art. But my bread and butter and pride and joy is my murals that adorn streets and interiors across Melbourne and little nooks around the world. On my final year of university my partner also quit his job to become my manager and handle all the marketing and business inquiries. When we did this we moved to Mexico for 3 months where we traded murals for accommodation from Mexico City to Oaxaca. In Oaxaca on our final month we stayed a boutique guesthouse where I was invited to do an artist residency. In that month I painted the entire hotel entrance walkway in a series of story telling murals which was hidden from the public until a grand reveal party. Also a very life changing experience.

Describe your current professional role and career goals.

Justine: These days I spend half my time in the studio designing murals and painting commissions, and the other half painting murals on the streets and the interiors for all sorts of businesses. My career goal for the next 5 years is to paint bigger and better walls. I’m talking 9 stories high. Work with big brands that I love, and do more projects overseas, I hope to be invited to paint for international mural festivals once I’m more established. Eventually have another solo show with interactive installation art and exhibit overseas. Complete an artist residency in Japan and Italy.

What has been the highlight of your career so far?

Justine: My artist residency in Oaxaca Mexico.

What advice would you give graduates wanting to pursue a similar profession?

Justine: Self discipline and determination will take you far.

Tell us about your experience of studying online.

Justine: I did several of my units online whilst I was travelling around Japan and Mexico. It’s definitely doable and worked for me but certainly requires more self discipline. If you enjoy independent learning it shouldn’t make too much of a difference. 

I did several of my units online whilst I was travelling around Japan and Mexico. It’s definitely doable and worked for me but certainly requires more self discipline.

Justine studied Deakin University’s Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication)*.
*course now named: Bachelor of Design, or major study of Visual Communication Design is available in the Bachelor of Arts