Meet Ash: Ash studied Visual Communication Design at Deakin, and is currently a digital marketing manager and website manager. He shares his amazing professional journey with us, and provides tips for others wanting to pursue a design career.

I would suggest doing an internship either during the course or straight after finishing as in this industry, connections are the most important asset aside from your technical skills.

What was the most beneficial aspect of your course at Deakin?

Ash: I believe I found the most benefit in two areas. One being finding my own style and implementing that to create my portfolio. The second is digital design in learning the do’s and dont’s for an effective and impactful design.

Did you complete any study tours abroad?

Ash: I spent one month in Japan on a study tour. On this tour the most valuable thing I took away from this was the unique design culture of Japanese design. With detailed animations, colourful graphic design and many visual art forms the experience widened my understanding of what art is and how it can be expressed.

Tell us about your experience of Deakin’s teaching/academic staff.

Ash: I was lucky to get to know my tutors throughout my time at deakin. Due to my course the classes were not large so my tutors knew me well. Due to this they were able to follow my progress and push my skills. This helped in both my style and personal growth as a designer.

What has your professional journey been since completing your course?

Ash: My journey has been more than I expected. I have completed one internship With Hot Black a design firm working with many talented designers, architects and interior designers. I learnt so many new technical skills and communicating with clients. I have been blessed with a vast group of connections and have had many freelance clients which has kickstarted my career which is travelling really well. I am also a digital marketing manager and website manager of Aussie Disposals.

The classes were not large so my tutors knew me well and followed my progress and pushed my skills. This helped in both my style and personal growth as a designer.

Describe your current professional role and career goals.

Ash: In my current role in Aussie Disposals as a digital marketing manager I manage all EDMs, Facebook posts, Instagram posts, website banners and artworks as well as the product artwork. This role is a stepping stone to moving into a large design agency to build more connections and grow my skills. My goal for the next five years is to build a network for when I create my own design studio.

What has been the highlight of your career so far?

Ash: The biggest highlight of my career so far has been working with some large travel companies as a freelancer. Producing brochures, business cards, social posts and merchandise for a large event. This resulted in a large pick up in their business and the google analytics showed it was a large part through the advertising I created.

What has been the biggest influence on your career?

Ash: My biggest influence has been my time overseas. Being to Japan, America, Italy, France more of Europe, I have been to hundreds of art galleries and also numerous international lectures which have shaped my style and approach to a design brief.

What advice would you give graduates wanting to pursue a similar profession?

Ash: I would suggest doing an internship either during the course or straight after finishing as in this industry, connections are the most important asset aside from your technical skills.

Tell us about your experience of studying in the Cloud.

Ash: I studied one unit in the cloud to finish my course. This allowed me to accept my full time designer role while studying.

My career goal is to build a network for when I create my own design studio.

Ash at graduation

Ash Bouyer studied Deakin University’s Bachelor of Creative Arts (Visual Communication Design)*
Visit the *current Creative arts and Design courses – Bachelor of Design | Bachelor of Creative Arts).