Meet Meg: A recent graduate of the Bachelor of Health and Physical Education, Meg is now studying a postgraduate degree at Deakin to further her studies in education leadership. Learn more about Meg’s study journey so far as she reflects on her undergraduate student experience. 

Throughout my professional experience during the degree, I worked in both primary and secondary school settings, as well as a special needs school.

Why did you choose to study at Deakin?

Meg: I’m originally from country NSW so the choice to study at Deakin University in Burwood came really naturally. Also my third method is Drama and Deakin is the only university to offer that as a third method.

How is your course preparing you to be work ready?

Meg: Having studied teaching at Deakin I feel extremely confident in my ability to be work ready. The vast range of professional experience and practical lessons has allowed me to transfer all my theoretical learning into a real world teaching context, making me super prepared and eager to enter the work force.

Tell us about your experience of Deakin’s teaching/academic staff.

Meg: Throughout my degree I have had the up most privilege to learn from the best in the business. The academic staff have been the greatest role models and mentors, sharing with us their expertise and really encouraging us to push boundaries and grow into the next generation of inspiring teachers. There have been copious amounts of opportunity to connect and network with schools and staff within the industry; this was extremely predominant in my 4th and final year.

What has been the most rewarding aspect of your course?

Meg: Studying at Deakin has really confirmed my passion and love for teaching, and I think the most rewarding aspect of my course was the amount of hands on experience we were given. Being able to grow and develop as a teacher within the unpredictable, challenging and real world context of a school environment was honestly priceless.

Have you undertaken any professional experience or internships as part of your degree?

Meg: The beauty of my course was the constant professional experience we were exposed to from the very beginning. Deakin works hard to ensure everyone experiences a vast range of schooling contexts and environments to ultimately shape an adaptable, well rounded teacher. Throughout my professional experience I worked in both primary and secondary school settings, as well as a special needs school. With every single one of my teaching experiences being positive, challenging and rewarding.

I’m graduating with three Teaching methods: health and human development, physical education and drama.

How would you describe the learning environment and culture at Deakin?

Meg: The learning environment and culture at Deakin University is electric! Deakin’s inclusive nature really urges you to become involved in as many ways as you possible can. For the past 3 years I have been involved in Deakin’s Physical Education Student Society (PESS), and in my 4th year I had the privilege of being the clubs Co-president. Being involved allowed me to expand my skill set and develop a sense of confidence that was easily transferable into my teaching.

Where do you see your career in five years?

Meg: In five years time I see my teaching career thriving! I will be continuing to learn and grow from both the staff and students that surround me. I will be constantly shaping and reflecting on my teaching philosophy to ensure I am meeting the needs of all my students in the most creative and inclusive way possible. I will be striving for leadership roles, for example year leaders and perhaps head of my faculty! I see myself constantly raising the bar, constantly challenging myself to step outside my comfort zone, and thus role model such behaviours to my students.

Have you faced any challenges whilst studying?

Meg: A big part of my course at Deakin was collaborative work and working with peers. This at times could be challenging, due to the range of work ethics and personalities within the groups. However from this gave rise to positive opportunities by means of developing good communication skills and patience, skills that are vital within the teaching profession.

What would you say to someone considering study at Deakin?

Meg: If you are considering studying at Deakin University I would say take the chance! It’s a fantastic, supportive environment that really pushes you to explore, reflect and grow into a thriving professional. Their main priority is you, and they work hard to ensure your experience is like no other.

Is there anything else you’d like to add about Deakin that we haven’t covered?

Meg: With my degree I have the unique opportunity to choose a third method, therefore graduating with health and human development, physical education and drama. Having this compulsory third method enhances your employability and really adds diversity to your teaching. The vast range of subjects Deakin provides is extremely enticing, and even more appealing to employers.

Meg

Meg studied the Bachelor of Health and Physical Education at Deakin University.