The most rewarding aspect of my course has been the learning opportunities gained throughout the professional experience program, within which I have had the privilege of working alongside children and mentors in settings from birth to Grade 6.

Why did you choose to study at Deakin?

Caitlin:  I chose to study at Deakin because it came as the most highly recommended University at which to study teaching, and when I learnt of the dual qualification that is offered through the Bachelor of Early Years Education, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to teach from birth through to the end of primary school, and the doors that it would open going forward in my teaching career.

How is your course preparing you to be work-ready?

Caitlin: The Bachelor of Early Childhood Education has prepared me to be work ready through providing opportunities in which to gain both theoretical knowledge and professional experience across early childhood and primary school settings; equipping me with the skills, confidence and knowledge to make a positive impact in the field.

Tell us about your experience of Deakin’s teaching/academic staff.

Caitlin: My experience of Deakin’s teaching staff has been nothing short of exceptional! I cannot speak highly enough of the incredibly friendly, supportive and encouraging staff that I’ve encountered at Deakin, and their unwavering belief in their students. It has been a privilege to learn from dedicated teaching staff who offer a wealth of passion, knowledge and experience in shaping the next generation of confident, compassionate and skilled educators.

What has been the most rewarding aspect of your course?

Caitlin: The most rewarding aspect of my course at Deakin has been the learning opportunities gained throughout the professional experience program, within which I have had the privilege of working alongside children and mentors in settings from birth to Grade 6, who have inspired growth in all areas of my teaching practice, and enriched my love for learning and confidence in teaching.

Have you undertaken any professional experience or internships as part of your degree?

Caitlin: I have undertaken professional experience within each year of my course, spanning from 0-2 year-olds, 2-3 year-olds, kindergarten, foundation and grade 6. The rich opportunities that I’ve had to work with varied age-groups has equipped me with a holistic understanding of child-development, and has served to enrich my practice within both prior-to-school and school-aged contexts due to the first-hand experience gained in both. One of the most valuable aspects of undertaking professional experience is the opportunity to apply theory to practice within a safe and supportive environment, which has encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone and broaden my repertoire of teaching strategies while engaging in a process of self-reflection.

How would you describe the learning environment and culture at Deakin?

Caitlin: The learning environment at Deakin is incredibly supportive, interactive and engaging, with plenty of open, vibrant spaces, quiet study nooks and serene natural landscapes. Deakin provides a vast array of learning facilities that support to be fully immersed in their learning, from science laboratories and fully-equipped mathematics classrooms to captivating visual and creative arts rooms. The relaxed, friendly culture at Deakin has made it easy to feel at home and as part of the student community.

Where do you see your career in five years?

Caitlin: In five years time I see myself working within the field of education, further building upon my ‘teacher toolkit’ to comprise new strategies, skills and practices that will enhance children’s engagement and continue to make a positive impact on future generations.

Have you faced any challenges whilst studying?

Caitlin: I have encountered feelings of self-doubt when navigating new experiences that were beyond my comfort-zone, such as stepping into the classroom for the first time, however it was through seeking the support of teaching staff, who provided valuable insight, perspective and personal experiences, that I was able to approach such challenges with a renewed sense of confidence.

What would you say to someone considering study at Deakin University?

Caitlin: If you’re considering studying at Deakin, I would definitely recommend it! I have loved the opportunities Deakin has provided me to deepen my knowledge, gain confidence in the classroom and develop my practice as a teacher, and their strong focus on delivering engaging and informed course content, quality learning facilities and dedicated teaching staff to promote student success. I think you’ll love Deakin too!

I credit my wonderful experience at Deakin to the incredibly welcoming, encouraging and passionate staff who have inspired a new generation of teachers to make a positive impact on tomorrow’s children.

caitlin

Caitlin Potter studied the Bachelor of Education (Early Years), now titled the Bachelor of Early Childhood and Primary Education.
Learn more about studying Early Childhood Education at Deakin University.