Meet the School of Communication and Creative Arts

Today we speak with Jodi McAlister: Jodi writes commercial young adult fiction (a trilogy of novels has recently been published) and teaches creative writing and literary studies at Deakin.

What do you teach at Deakin? 

Jodi: My time is split about half and half between teaching creative writing and literary studies – something which neatly demonstrates my dual career path, as both author and academic. At the moment in T1 (Trimester 1), I’m working with our Honours and Masters students in a course on narrative theory. In T2, I’ll move into teaching Writing For Young People for our undergrads.

How would you describe your creative practice?

Jodi: I write commercial young adult fiction. My Valentine series are a trilogy of young adult Australian paranormal romance/urban fantasy novels (Valentine, Ironheart, and Misrule), published by Penguin Teen Australia. When I’m asked to give a one sentence description of them, I usually tell people that they’re somewhere between Picnic at Hanging Rock and the works of Holly Black – or, more succinctly, they’re about murder fairies and smart girls smashing the faetriarchy.

The material I’m working on at the moment is less fantastical, but it still falls under the umbrella of commercial fiction. Watch this space.

Who has been your biggest influence on your career to date?

Jodi: My favourite author growing up was Australian young adult legend Isobelle Carmody. I picked up a copy of Obernewtyn when I was nine and I’m not sure I ever actually put it down again. It changed my life and I certainly wouldn’t be the kind of writer I am today without that formative influence on me. A couple of years ago, Isobelle was kind enough to host a launch event for my second novel Ironheart at Avid Reader in Brisbane. I don’t get starstruck very easily, but I certainly was that night!

What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?

cover of Valentine

cover of Valentine designed by Marina Messiha (Penguin Teen Australia)

Jodi: This changes depending on whether I’m more in author-mode or academic-mode on a given day, but I’m extremely proud of my three novels and of my PhD (soon to be a monograph). When I was a child, my greatest dream was to be able to see a book with my name on the spine, and to have achieved that in fiction and soon also in scholarly publishing really makes me proud.

What has been your favourite Deakin experience?

Jodi: I love, love, LOVE teaching my unit Writing For Young People every T2 (Trimester 2). We cover a huge range of kidlit in this course – everything from picture books through to young adult – and the enthusiasm my students show for engaging with and then producing their own creative works for young people makes me so happy. One thing I like to do when teaching this unit is a quick “book club” at the beginning of every class, where I ask each student to talk for a few moments about a book in line with that week’s theme that they’ve read (either recently or as a child). It really makes you aware of the profound impact that books can have on us.

How would you describe the Deakin learning experience for students?

Jodi: One of the great things about the Deakin learning experience is its flexibility: no matter which unit you’re taking, you can take it in the way that suits you best, whether that’s coming in to campus to go to class or learning in your own time online. I think that flexibility has infiltrated the university culture in a really productive way: when we had to move all our students online because of COVID-19, I was incredibly proud of how quickly everyone adapted to the new normal. That kind of flexibility is a great life skill to have!

What is your best advice for someone looking to enter a creative career?

Jodi: The best advice I can give someone looking to enter a creative career is to remember that discipline, not talent, will be your most important attribute. Talent means nothing if you can’t sit down and do the work. Discipline will take you far further than talent ever will.

What is it like teaching and studying your discipline online?

Jodi: I really enjoy teaching online! There are multiple ways to study and learn – you can work in real time with your tutor and your classmates, using something like Blackboard Collaborate; or, if you want more flexibility, you can also work through the material in your own time.

Jodi McAlister

Dr Jodi McAlister teaches creative writing and literary studies.