For Joyce Wong choosing a university that could adapt to her busy lifestyle was important, ‘I chose to study at Deakin because the course offers a convenient online option so I can work and study at the same time. I also chose this course, Master of Applied Learning and Teaching (Secondary), because it allows me to teach in both Secondary and TAFE settings, which is quite a unique course,’ she says. 

Joyce started her university journey with a Bachelor of Arts, where she discovered her interest in teaching through elective units. ‘I got to undertake several education electives which inspired me to become a teacher. I found this to be a very rewarding and sustainable career,’ she says.&nbsp

During her studies, Joyce embraced the professional experience opportunities available through Deakin. ‘I undertook three sets of placements at three different schools, Forest Hill College, Mooroolbark College and Lilydale High school. All placement experiences were very rewarding. I learnt a lot during placement such as classroom management, student interaction, lesson planning, participation in school events, and parent-teacher interviews.’ 

‘These experiences cannot be replaced by studying textbooks and reading research papers, I enjoyed and treasure the placement experience I have had. The placement and personal development days in this course provide me with hands-on experience to be job ready,’ she says. 

The teachers in this course are very friendly and helpful, they will try their best to answer my queries and provide me with in-depth feedback on assessments. The academic staff really want to teach and support student’s learning and career outcomes. 

At times Joyce has felt overwhelmed by the pressures of balancing full-time work and studyinghowever, she always feels supported by Deakin’s flexible study options. ‘I really appreciate the support from the academic staff. All the teaching staff from tutors to unit chairs care about my study and career pathway and are understanding about my current situation having to work and study at the same time.’ 

‘There were times I felt really drained from study and work so it was good that Deakin offers an intermission opportunity which means I can take a break from study and come back fresh,’ she says. 

Joyce recommends online learning at Deakin because, ‘the Cloud was easy to use and provided me with the flexibility to study anytime, anywhere. It’s a great option if you want to continue working or have other life commitments.’ 

Studying online with Deakin’s Cloud Campus has given Joyce a sense of community alongside her classmates. ‘As an online student I didn’t expect much, however, there were really nice classmates in this course, and we formed a small community on Facebook to support one another.’ 

After finishing her degree Joyce feels prepared to pursue her dream career in higher education. ‘In the future, I would like to progress my career in the higher education setting to work with students from disadvantage schools and become a professional career counsellor in tertiary settings.’ 

Joyce Wong 
Master of Applied Learning and Teaching (Secondary)

joyce

Learn more about studying an education and/or teaching degree at Deakin University.